Alpha Epsilon Phi, Beta Lambda Chapter
Alpha Epsilon Phi, Beta Lambda Chapter
Original photo by Cloey Trachtenberg
Life > Experiences

The Smallest Sisterhood: The Revival of the Smallest Panhellenic Sorority on Campus, Alpha Epsilon Phi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Many Hearts, One Purpose:

In 1909, ΑΕΦ was established with Jewish cultural values in mind, but has since embraced people of all religious backgrounds to join. The sorority aims to be a safe place for all women who seek intellectual growth, fostering life-long friendships and community involvement.

Although the sorority was technically active on Cal Poly’s campus up until 2021, the Beta Lambda chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi is re-founding this year, after their last remaining member graduated.

National representatives recruited in the fall of 2022 and initiated their 6 person new member class at the end of the quarter. Some members heard about ΑΕΦ through Jewish organizations on campus, like Hillel and Chabad, but other members “looking for ways to get more involved socially” saw fliers around campus, and joined recruitment. The sisters emphasize that although ΑΕΦ is built on culturally Jewish values, the social sorority welcomes everyone. Lili Puente, Head of Philanthropy, Scholarship, and Programming shared her insight: “As a non-Jewish member, ΑΕΦ’s values didn’t stand out to me as exclusively Jewish, instead they felt more like human values that I think are important to live by”.

I feel like I found my people!

Gabi Blecher, VP of Finance

Although the sorority’s numbers are smaller in comparison to the majority of Panhellenic Sororities on campus, the members of ΑΕΦ formed a close group from the very beginning. Grace Murphy, President, shared that their first quarter was all about educating the new members about ΑΕΦ’s values and each other:
“The size of the sorority has allowed me to connect with all of its members on a very personal level [which is specific to ΑΕΦ, especially] since sometimes everyone doesn’t even know each other in a larger sorority”.

Gabi Blecher, VP of Finance, echoed this, revealing “We’ve all become a very close, tight-knit community, which I love. I feel like I found my people!”

The sisterhood’s connections have grown ever since, especially with the addition of a new member in the Winter Quarter. Since then, the group has been working with other sororities and on-campus organizations to put on Philanthropy fundraisers, which Grace explained hasn’t been so easy.

“So far it’s been difficult engaging with other organizations just because we don’t have as much man-power [to host events], but the other sororities in P.H.A. (Panhellenic Association) on campus have been super kind in welcoming us and helping us out when they can”.

Their efforts aren’t going unseen; this year alone, ΑΕΦ and participating groups have raised hundreds of dollars for their two philanthropies Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation and Sharsheret. The sisters plan to continue their work on campus in the future, as well as to “grow next year by welcoming new members from the class of 2027!”

Alpha Epsilon Phi, Beta Lambda Chapter
Original photo by Cloey Trachtenberg

ΑΕΦ is currently participating in Continuous Open Bidding– a more casual form of recruitment– which they plan to continue in the 2023 Fall quarter.
Stay updated on ΑΕΦ’s events and growth on Instagram @aephicalpoly

Zoe Goldstein

Cal Poly '26

Zoe is a second year English major at California Polytechnic University- San Luis Obispo. Zoe is so excited to extend her role in her chapter of Her Campus, this year, as a writer and as an editor. She enjoys writing, reading, and listening to music on the daily, and likes to surf and thrift-shop in her free time, when she's not leading events in her chapter of Alpha Epsilon Phi. Her interests and passions include environmentalism, literature, and social equality.