This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Sofia, or Fia, as some of us call her, is a business major and is interested in pursuing a music minor. Fia may seem like your typical Cal Poly student, but what most people don’t know is that she is insanely talented and musically gifted.

HCCP: When did you first become interested in music and why?

Fia: I grew up in a musical family. My parents led worship, and so I started out by singing and writing worship music. I eventually branched out to do my own music when I was 12 years old, and started performing in front of audiences when I was 16.

HCCP: What was the first instrument you learned to play?

Fia: The first instrument that I learned how to play was the piano. When I turned 14, I switched over to the guitar. I found that the guitar was more conducive to playing shows since it’s more portable and is great for playing solo performances.

HCCP: How many instruments do you play?

Fia: I played the flute, and I love percussion, such as cajón and shakers. I think it’s imperative to learn how to keep a beat and stay on tempo. It’s so important for making music. I also really want to learn how to play the drums.

HCCP : I hear that you write your own lyrics. How old were you when you started writing lyrics, and what prompted you to write?

Fia: I began writing lyrics around the age of 14, and I think it was just the idea of telling my own story that prompted me to write lyrics.

HCCP: Where do you draw your inspiration for your lyrics?

Fia: When I first started writing lyrics, it was all about boys and love. After I went through the “love song about a boy” phase, I shifted to writing songs about my friends and more complex themes, such as the real world and life. I wanted to write about things that you would not normally hear on the radio, so I don’t really write love songs anymore. I also get a lot of inspiration from books, movies and people’s stories.

HCCP asks: So, you also play shows around the San Luis Obispo area. Where specifically do you play? How old were you when you first began performing?

Fia: I first started performing when I was 16. I performed at this outdoor music event called Magic of the Night; it took place down the main street of my hometown, and musicians would play their music throughout the street. I was able to receive some major connections through this performance. I did performances at stores and theaters. Then, I got in contact with this guy who orchestrates all these shows in San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area, so I now I perform at cafés, wineries and other intimate venues.

HCCP asks: Do you get nervous performing in front of an audience?

Fia: I don’t get nervous in front of an audience. Although, I sometimes find it hard to introduce myself and talk to the audience.

HCCP asks: How would you describe your musical style?

Fia: I dabble in a little bit of everything. I might create a pop or techno song one day, then country the next day and a jazz or blues track after that. It varies a lot. I would say that my lyrics are unique, though. Sometimes my lyrics may not necessarily make sense right away to the listener, but it’s because it’s my story that I am telling.

HCCP asks: Would you like to be a professional musician for a living?

Fia: College has always been my backup plan. I have faith that music will play a bigger role in my life someday. I decided to major in business so in the event that music doesn’t work out for me, I could use my degree to work at a record company. Also, I am currently taking music production courses, and I would love to learn more about the different software to use to produce music. Either way, music is still my primary plan. Music is what I want to do and I am too passionate about it to let it die.

HCCP asks: You’ve said that someday you would like to live in Sweden permanently. Would you want to be a famous musician in Sweden, the United States, or if possible, both?

Fia: I would probably choose Sweden. Lots of famous artists have come out of Sweden and there are some great recording studios there. Plus, it’s so casual to be a music star there.

HCCP asks: Is there anything else you would like our readers to know about your music?

Fia: When it comes to recording music, it’s so much fun to open a blank project. I usually like to start with the music and let the lyrics come to me. I think it’s just incredible that we as humans can create such amazing songs. It’s beautiful.

If you would like to check out Fia’s music, visit her SoundCloud.

Emily has also authored political articles for Restless Magazine and numerous inspirational and empowering pieces for Project Wednesday. When she isn't writing, she can be found flying off to her next adventure, attempting new recipes, listening to one of her infinite playlists on Spotify, or cuddling with her dogs. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @emilycveith.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.