Scarlett Fivey, Kappa Alpha Theta’s Very Own Lovely Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet Scarlett! She’s a third year business administration and marketing student from Alamo, CA, and, not to mention, the newest president of Kappa Alpha Theta.

1. Tell us about being the new president of Theta.

So far it has been so fun and amazing. I love getting to work alongside the other officers to plan all of the events and activities that we have coming up throughout the quarter. I’m so excited for what the rest of the year has in store and feel so fortunate to be able to give back to the sisterhood that has given so much to me.

2. What do you think the most challenging part of your position is?

As much fun as it is, there is a lot of pressure that comes with the position. I want to make sure that all members of Theta are enjoying their time in the sorority, and if they aren’t, I can’t help but put some of the blame on myself. There is a lot of work involved, but I know it will all be worth it in the end.

3. What kind of skills do you think you will gain from having this position?

I think that I will gain a stronger ability to motivate others and delegate tasks efficiently. I also hope to become a better public speaker, since that is one of my biggest weaknesses.

4. Tell us what you hope to achieve as president in the next year.

I hope that I can make all members of Theta happy and fulfilled with their involvement in the sorority. Theta has really shaped my college experience and made my time at Cal Poly amazing. I want to ensure that all other members have similar memories and a wonderful experience like I have.

5. What do you like to do in your free time?

As embarrassing as it is, I love watching TV or movies in my free time. Gossip Girl will forever be my favorite show, but I have just become addicted to Scandal -they are both so good! I can binge watch shows like no other. Otherwise, I love to do generic SLO things like hiking, visiting Avila beach or shopping downtown.

6. Tell us about your favorite place you’ve ever traveled to.

Last summer, I studied abroad in Prague in the Czech Republic and it was an unbelievable experience. Prague was so unique to anywhere else that I had ever been and had amazing people, food and culture. The best part about studying abroad was getting to travel around during and after the program. I visited so many gorgeous cities including, Budapest, Vienna, Amsterdam, Bruges, Munich and Stockholm. It was a such a life-changing experience and I know that I want to continue traveling for the rest of my life.

7. Have you thought about what you want to do after you graduate?

I hope to work in marketing, ideally for a fashion or makeup brand, but I really have no idea what the future has in store for me. Before I can worry about graduation, I’m hoping to find an internship this summer, so hopefully that works out!

8. What’s one thing on your bucket list you hope to accomplish?

I really want to visit Australia! It just seems so amazing and beautiful, so I must go see it at some point in my life. I also really want to learn how to play an instrument, preferably the piano.

9. What advice would you give your freshman self?

Stop worrying about what others think and focus on yourself. Life is too short to spend stressing over the opinions of others, when in the end they don’t even matter.

Gabby is a fourth-year Marketing and Statistics student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She's currently the Marketing & PR Director for HCCP, as well as a writer and editor. Her passions include consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, idealizing her life on Pinterest, and all things breakfast-related.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.