Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Wellness

Running is the New Hot Girl Walk™: A Word from Cal Poly Distance Club’s Fastest Runners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether you want to run a grueling half marathon along the coast or go for a leisurely 5k with your friends, Cal Poly’s Distance Running Club is the place to be. With nearly two hundred members and a multitude of competitors, CPDC welcomes runners of every skill level and time commitment. 

Lauryn Wojcik, one of our freshman women, made it to the national race this past fall. “I joined CPDC to find people to run with and a sense of community. Running makes me feel strong and proud of myself,” she writes. This past fall, Lauryn ran at the national race for the National Intercollegiate Running Club Association (NIRCA) as a freshman! 

d6c58db3 7540 4c40 9e39 6036a5a1e6beThe men and women’s team celebrate after a successful end to the 2022 cross-country season in Richmond, Virginia. 

Jeffrey Dang, freshman, considers practices his favorite part of the day and says the atmosphere is welcoming and supportive. “To still be able to race and cheer teammates on after high school gives me hope and opportunity to become a better runner,” he says.  

c3dbb0a3 2475 4203 8e5d 105424233889Post-race dubs: Jeffrey celebrates a successful (race length) in (race time) at (race name).

Freshman Grace Murphy started running during some of middle and high school and decided to join CPDC when she began college. “Everyone is really supportive of each other and wants them to accomplish their goals, even if their non running related,” she explains. “There’s both a competitive and relaxed atmosphere and you can kinda choose which vibe you’re feeling and you’re never pressured to race if you don’t want to. Being at the meets is super fun because you get to cheer on your teammates when you’re not running and then everyone is cheering on you when you are running. Even people that you aren’t especially close with cheer you on and it’s amazing seeing how supportive everyone is.”

Grace is a fantastic runner and charismatic teammate, and loves running, whether with the team or on a solo run. “Running has helped me to grow as a person and has allowed me to become disciplined because it’s not always easy fitting in a run. Running itself lets me burn off steam and relax during a hectic day.”

e3d63664 a250 4048 8ce0 05b6b288df4fGrace enjoys the morning view during a thrilling run along Cuesta Ridge.

Evelyn is in her second year at Cal Poly SLO studying psychology and studio art on the pre-law route. What, like it's hard? She is actively involved in SLO's mock trial team, distance running club, and coed pre-law fraternity. On her days off, Evelyn will likely be at the beach or a cafe.