Resisting the Social Media Urge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Even during dead week, social media whispers your name. You’re sprawled on your couch with a statistics textbook in hand, but all you can think about is how many “likes” your profile picture has, what your friends are doing that exact moment or what the next status update will be on your newsfeed. So you decide to zone out onto that small little smartphone screen for 10 minutes — that’s what you promise yourself — nothing more. But before you know it, it’s been an hour and a half, and next to you is still the dreadful statistics book, staring at you with those chi-squared eyes.

We’re all addicted to social media. And during dead week, social media can hinder one’s ability to study to the point where the task isn’t even done. But have no fear, fellow social media addicts! Here are four ways to resist those urges and get your game on for dead week.

1. Use your cell phone for answering texts or calls only.

Remember those darn cute, bulky flip phones back in the day? OK, so maybe they weren’t very darn cute, but they were still useful. Treat your smartphone like a flip phone. Turn off your data. Only answer texts and phone calls — that way you won’t feel as disconnected from your friends, but you’ll still be able to focus.

2. Set an alarm

When you’re on your phone or computer and are certain you only have five minutes to use social media (because you’ll be pulling an all-nighter, of course), set an alarm. It’s not that difficult. Remind yourself of the consequences of spending too much time on Facebook, Instagram and Tumblr. As motherly as this sounds, it’s time to set your priorities straight.

3. There’s an app for that!

Though it might seem counterproductive to download apps, use technology to help you, not hinder you. There are apps — like Rescue Time — that time your activity on social media. Do you only want to spend 10 minutes online? That’s cool. Set up the application to alert you and close out those social media applications once you get started. With Rescue Time, you can block certain websites for a specific amount of time and track how much time you spend on the sites you specify.

4. Every time you have the urge to use social networks, do something else instead.

Social networking is usually what a lot of people like to call “breaks” when working.  Take a real break for once. If you have the urge to check Facebook, go outside and see the real world instead. Lay on the lawn. Embrace the fresh air. Take time out for yourself; don’t spend it obsessing over insignificant details’ of other peoples’ lives.

Trust me, I know the struggle of resisting social media. I actually checked Facebook three times while writing this article, but that doesn’t mean I can’t change. And that doesn’t mean you can’t change, either. If social media really is an addiction for you, remember that spending more time on yourself is healthier than stalking your friends on a daily basis — even though it is fun at times. Good luck focusing during dead week, girls! We can do this.

Suha Saya is currently a freshman at Cal Poly majoring in Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, she is a contributing News Writer for Mustang News — Cal Poly's campus newspaper. Aside from writing articles, Suha grew up as a creative writer, focusing on poetry. Suha also secretly likes to sing (not so secret anymore) and to oil paint. Her dream is to someday work for a well known publication in either San Francisco or New York. Fun facts: Suha has an extra flexion crease (line) on the palm of her left hand's ring finger. She was also named after the Arabic version of the star Alcor, a star located in the Ursa Major.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.