Rabbits, the College Girl’s Best Friend: 5 Reasons Why You Should Own a Rabbit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Puppies, kittens and rabbits, oh my! As a single college student, the best way to end a long, homework-filled, over-socialized day is to cuddle with my four-year old mini Rex rabbit, Tennant. See, the nice thing about having Tennant is that he listens to my rants and watches TV with me without objection as I comment on the show. People with pets live longer, happier lives. So why not add a furry friend to your life, especially a rabbit? There are five reasons why you should own a rabbit:

1) The cost. Umm, aca-scuse me, are you aware that the cost of owning a rabbit is less than owning a cat or a dog?!? To own a dog or a cat costs roughly $2,000 a year! That’s a lot of bones. A rabbit, depending on how much you spoil it, costs roughly $400 a year.  So having a rabbit even works within the most meager of college student budgets, and you still get your “warm and fuzzy” cuddle fix.

2) Their cuteness level. How can you say no to a fuzzy, cute little rabbit face? When you look up cute animals on Google, rabbits heavily dominate the internet cuteness category. Everything they do is cute no matter what. Rabbits are pretty kawaii!

3) Their social and friendly personalities. Not only are they great with people, they love hanging out with animal buddies.

4)      The variety of the breeds. From the biggest Flemish Giant to smallest Netherland Dwarf, rabbits come in all shapes, colors and sizes.

Flemish Giant size compared to a toddler

Netherland Dwarf size compared to a pen

5)      Last but not least, you have a friend for life! Rabbits live up to 14 years and will be your buddy through all those years.

Tennant and I taking a selfie

Tennant getting caught eating sand in the sandbox

Davis is a 4th year Dairy Science major who has a passion for tea, dressing up her rabbit, playing Pokemon and making every Disney movie she watches a sing-along.Davis tries her best to incorporate her bubbly personality into all her articles.Davis thanks you for taking the time out of your busy lives to observe and reflect on her (mostly) silly articles.Enjoy! 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu