This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It wasn’t until recently that I discovered I have a heavy reliance on caffeine, especially in the form of coffee. I love having a classic cold brew to study with or a fall-inspired latte to put me in the holiday spirit, and I especially love being able to enjoy those drinks in a classic coffee shop environment. Luckily, I don’t have to travel far to find some of my favorite coffee shop spots, since many of them are located right in San Luis Obispo.

1. Kin Coffee Bar

Kin Coffee Bar was one of the first local coffee shops I tried when coming to Cal Poly and I have loved it ever since. Although it doesn’t have the largest interior, what it lacks in size is made up by a unique and trendy atmosphere. Hanging wall plants, graffiti tables, and paintings by local artists available for purchase are only some of the cool features that make this coffee shop stand out. What is arguably even better are the many different coffee (and non-coffee) choices that make up their menu.  Of course there are the classic coffee options like americanos and vanilla lattes, but the menu also features drinks like the “curious george” (banana, chocolate, milk, espresso) and the “madonna” (green mint milk, chocolate, espresso).  A personal favorite of mine is the “valentine”, which consists of rose, lavender, chocolate, and cold brew.

1. Kreuzberg California 

I personally believe this coffee shop is the best place to combine tiring study sessions with trying new kinds of coffee. Even though it’s a pretty large space with a ton of tables for study groups, Kreuzberg still manages to create a homey,college-town atmosphere. The combination of semi-modern decorations and classic coffee shop aspects (like wooden tables and random portrait paintings on the walls) makes this a perfect spot for when you need to get out of the house to get some work done. Not to be overlooked either are their study snacks which include breakfast burritos (they have a vegan option!), pastries (you have to try the almond croissant), and even a burger.  My go to order here is their on-tap nitro cold brew. However, if I’m feeling like changing things up, I also recommend their gibraltar, which is a double shot of espresso mixed with steamed milk.  

1. Linnaea’s Cafe

This coffee shop is a stark contrast to both Kin and Kruezberg due to its very authentic coffee shop nature. Although it may not have fancy decorations or a modern layout, it gives off the perfect classic coffee shop vibes. It is super warm and inviting, has free WIFI, and delicious coffee. What’s even cooler are the three different areas to spend time in at Linnaea’s: the window seat that overlooks Garden Street, the main dining room with plenty of tables to study at, and the garden where you can be surrounded by flowers and a fish pond. This is a must-stop spot to try anything from vegan chocolate peanut butter mocha cake to house-made oat milk.  My personal favorite drink is their caramel mocha, which I like to enjoy with their fan-favorite carrot cake!

If you ever need a break from the four walls of your apartment or the academic atmosphere of Cal Poly’s library, you should definitely try these coffee shops. San Luis Obispo has many other awesome coffee bars that are in direct competition with these three. However, I definitely urge you to give Kin Coffee Bar, Kreuzberg California, and Linnaea’s Cafe a try first.

Lucy Holland

Cal Poly '24

Lucy is a 2nd year business major at Cal Poly SLO! She is interested in writing about current events and popular trends. Lucy is currently planning on using her business degree to attend law school after finishing her undergraduate. In her free time she likes to go to the beach, hike and discover new coffee shops!