Meet Aspiring Mt. Everest Climber Cody Magnuson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Name: Cody Magnuson

Age: 20

Hometown: Fresno, CA

Major: Electrical Engineering

Relationship Status: Single

HC: What’s your favorite part of electrical engineering?

I like the idea of designing and creating things. I really enjoy the challenge.

Dream job?

My dream would be to create my own business, like a startup, based on some idea that has to do with electrical engineering; so to come up with some kind of electronic thing or some kind of solution and to build a business around it.

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Well, I wanted to be a mad scientist. 

Favorite part of Cal Poly so far?

I really like the people. I can have random conversations with total strangers. I like how nice people are. It’s not like that everywhere, but it definitely is in this little happy place.

A favorite job you’ve had?

I worked at a summer camp and I taught all sorts of little classes like surviving the wilderness, camping basics, sailing and canoeing. It was a cool place to be working because of my love for the outdoors and the waterfront. I’d lifeguard and teach kids how to sail, which is a lot of fun and the kids always love it too.

What do you do in your free time?

Sit on a rock and contemplate life’s mysteries…

Just kidding!

Recently I’ve been doing a lot hiking and backpacking. I really enjoy nature. Especially when you’re stuck in a little community like Cal Poly, I really enjoy getting out and doing things. There are very few weekends that I haven’t gone out and done a hike or gone running. Like yesterday I went hiking with a friend, the night before I went night hiking, and about an hour ago, I just got back from running the ridge above the peak.

Favorite hiking spots in SLO?

There’s this ridge above Cal Poly and there’s this one little spot–a rock that juts out from the hill away from everyone else. You can sit down and have a beautiful view looking out to Morro Bay and downtown SLO. Especially when things are stressful it makes you feel it a little bit above it and kind of like its not such a big deal.

Some adventures on your bucket list?

To travel through Europe staying at hostels. Just this last weekend I went backpacking in Big Sur for the first time, and going backpacking in South America is something I really want to do. And I want to climb Mt. Everest in the future.

If you had to eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I would say pizza, but I’ve done that for a while and it’s not fun after a few days. I’d say a really good tri-tip sandwich–with a salad on the side, get my vegetables in there too.

What do you admire most in a girl?

Her ability to have a light outlook on life. Someone who can really smile and just enjoy where she’s at.

What’s your ideal date?

Some kind of adventure. Just a day doing something we both enjoy. Something we’re able to spend time but also do things together. Like enjoying a day together at the beach and eating clam chowder at a restaurant by the ocean.

Who is your role model?

I have four older brothers, so I have a lot to choose from. But my next oldest brother, I really respect him. I don’t know if I want to 100% be like him but I really want to be able to have the same nice, light outlook on life and the ability to save awesome adventures like he does. So I guess he’s my role model.

What’s your personal motto?

There’s this quote I really like. “Appreciate who you are and be the best ‘you’ you can be.” 

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8