The Look Your Mother Hates: How to Rock the Dark Lip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Many fashion magazines with tell you fall is an opportune time to rock dark lipstick. This is much to my mother’s chagrin, however, as she visibly gets upset each time she sees me wearing burgundy, ox-blood or purple lipstick.

Now, my mom isn’t particularly conservative. (When I sent her a picture of my hair, which is currently dyed blue, she responded with “oh, how cute.”) I recently asked what she specifically hates about dark lipstick and she explained her worry that I’ll smear my lipstick all over my cheeks and chin. This leads me to believe my mother is under the impression I spend a vast majority of my time eating baby back ribs. It should also be noted my mom isn’t the only mother who holds such a low opinion of dark lipstick. Just a few days ago, a friend’s mom warned her “she will scare children” as she was leaving the house rocking a dark lip.

So now that you know this look is not mom-friendly, aren’t you enticed to try it yourself? Well you’re in luck, you little rebel you, as I employed the help of my lovely friend, Sarah, to show how to rock a dark lip without looking like Nancy from The Craft.

Step 1: Put on concealer and foundation. Also, fill in your eyebrows.

Step 2: Sweep a light brown eye shadow onto your crease. Take black liquid eyeliner and drag in as close as possible to your lash line. Add mascara. For this look, try to make your eye make up as subtle as possible.

Step 3: Add blush and a cream highlight. This will give your skin a nice dewy finish.

Step 4: Put on that dark lipstick. I would recommend exfoliating your lips beforehand. Also using a lip liner is key, as dark lipstick will bleed.

Step 5 (Optional): Dress in black clothing in a messy room and pose moodily, because you are now a dead ringer for Lorde.

I am a 3rd year English here at Cal Poly. I have a passions for all things pop culture, dogs and feminism.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8