Cheer netflix
Cheer netflix
Netflix
Life > Academics

Life As A Cal Poly Cheerleader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Walking back from our PreCalc class together, I asked Serena Freitas, a 2nd year Experience Industry Management major, a few questions about her life as Cal Poly Cheerleader.

How long have you been cheering? Where/when did you get your start? 

I have been cheering since I was 3 years old in preschool. I actually have a video of myself from that age where I fell in the middle of my cartwheel! I started my cheer career at a small gym called Central Coast Shockwave. In sixth grade, I moved to the California Allstars gym and did competitive cheer there. Once I entered eighth grade, I stopped cheering competitively and cheered for my high school instead.

Did you always want to cheer in college?

Yes, I remember when I was younger looking at YouTube videos of college cheerleaders and knew I always wanted to do that. Cheering in college was always something in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to pursue. I can’t just stop; I have been cheering basically all my life! 

What is your favorite tumbling skill to throw?

Either a running lay out or standing tuck. (wow)

What is your favorite part of Cal Poly Cheer? 

I like being involved in something on campus. I appreciate my teammates because we all work hard together and have the same goal of doing the best. Everyone wants to be there which is a great environment to come into everyday. I just love how everyone takes it seriously and puts their hearts into it.

What does a football season week of a Cal Poly Cheerleader look like?

We will have practice Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday with the game normally on Saturday. We spend these practices making the pyramids and the time-out routines. On a typical football game day, I spend the morning doing my hair and makeup. My team meets around either 1 or 2 and we mark the routine we will perform that day. Then, we start at the Mott gym and walk toward the field alongside the band and the football players. We have some free time to hang out with the parents and with each other once we get to the field. We also go to the alumni barbeque and mingle with them before the game. Finally, it is game time and we go out on the field for gameday!

Go ‘Stangs!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.