Latin Phrases to Live By

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I recently discovered Latin Proverbs through a great friend of mine and since he revealed those short, but sweet phrases to my mind, I have been addicted since. For some of you, Latin Proverbs might seem foreign, but you’ve definitely spotted some in day to day life without even realizing it. Have you seen “Carpe Diem” on a decorative pillow at TJ Maxx? Well that is an example of an extremely popular Latin Proverb. Latin Proverbs are essentially wise, brief, and attractive phrases that are about love, life, death, growth, etc. They’re pretty cool to keep in your back pocket and bring up to friends or to just keep in your mind to reflect on. 

Vivamus, moriendum est. (wee-WAH-mo-ree-EN-doom est)

This phrase means “Let us live, since we must die.” which sounds morbid at first, but is actually insightful and positive. This phrase is explaining bluntly that we as humans don’t have an infinite amount of years on Earth. Most people don’t start living until they are faced with death or the death of a loved one. Why is it that we don’t value our life until we see it threatened? What if I told you that we are already dying? I don’t mean this to scare you, but to rather reflect on your life. Who are you letting control your life? What are you doing that doesn’t make you happy? What is distracting you from living in the present moment? Live for yourself and live fully.

Carpe Diem (Kahr-peh Dee-ehm)

So this phrase is actually quite basic, but the meaning behind it should definitely inspire you. It means “Seize the day” and it’s self-explanatory, but everyone needs a reminder once in a while. Seizing the day essentially means taking the day and making it yours. For some that could mean tackling the massive to-do list they’ve been avoiding and for others that could mean finally being spontaneous and taking up a painting class downtown. Small changes in your day-to-day life actually feel a lot larger and could impact your overall life

Ad astra per aspera (ahd AH-strah pehr AHS-pehr-ah)

This is an inspiring phrase and relatable for college students who are at a place in their lives where they’re unsure of their path or struggling to get to their goals. It means “Through adversity to the stars.” Regardless of your age you might have some goal in mind that you’re trying to reach, and with goals and successes adversity usually is included. This phrase hopefully instills some hope that your goals are worth it and your hard work is not being put to waste. Also, doesn’t it just sound cool?

Ad meliora (ahd meh-lee-OH-rah)

This phrase is a fitting follow up to the previous phrase which means “Toward better things”. Oftentimes our goals in life cause a tunnel vision in our minds that closes our mind towards the possibility of other opportunities. If one goal fails that just means there is opportunity for a better fit dream. It’s important to understand in the grand scheme of things life usually figures itself out despite our attempts to control every move of it. Take what life gives you a step at a time and roll with the bumps and make the best of it.

These phrases aren’t exactly deeply philosophical, but I think it’s pretty cool to have in your back pocket to impress your friends or use as daily affirmations. I hope you gathered some worth out of these Latin phrases and will somehow integrate these into your mindset towards life.

Gianna Vasquez

Cal Poly '27

Gianna Vasquez is a Communication student at Cal Poly SLO. She is planning on pursuing marketing and writing for a magazine company! She is from the California Central Valley and loves to write about lifestyle! Her personal hobbies include reading, scrapbooking, sunset chasing, swimming, and writing!