Items Every Cal Poly Student Should Add to their Holiday Wishlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I don’t know about you, but Cal Poly culture definitely has an influence on my hobbies, passions and of course, fashion sense! With the holidays coming up, thinking of what you want for Christmas can be a tough feat, especially for our age. Too old for traditional toys but too young to start asking for boring staples. Hopefully, my guide will bring you ease and direction for your holiday wish list. 

1. Boots (Amazon)

With a huuuugeee Ag influence at Cal Poly, students need to get their hands on a pair of cowboy boots. Cheap, expensive, or thrifted – the style doesn’t matter, you just need some boots to rock! Events that boots are worn at include the annual Poly Rodeo, dinners downtown, line dancing, and everyday class. With a pair of comfy cowboy boots, you can conquer the world.

1. Cowboy Hat (Boot Barn)

With boots comes… a cowboy hat! Once again, cheap, expensive, traditional beige, or hot pink – the cowboy hat doesn’t need to be fancy, simply one you can wear to spruce up an outfit. Plus, you can incorporate  the hat into a Halloween costume every year to get extra use out of it. If you are okay with a l splurge, the new Boot Barn in SLO creates custom cowboy hats. Check it out!

1. Bull’s Tavern Hoodie / Moondoggies Merch (Website)

The Bull’s Tavern Hoodie and Moondoggies merch are iconic Cal Poly staples that many students love to represent. Both stores are located downtown and about three storefronts away from each other. With T-shirts ranging around $28 at Moondoggies, this would be a perfect addition to your list. In Bull’s Tavern, only 21 year olds and older are allowed in the bar so if you are below this age, make sure you send someone older to make the purchase.

1. Rain Jacket (Columbia)

The rain in SLO can be pretty hefty. Remember when the first week of Winter quarter 2023 got rained out? Yeah, me too. Rain jackets are a must here! Especially since our campus includes a LOT of outdoorsy walking time, you do not want to get caught in a downpour without rain resistant clothing. 

1. Mini Waffle Maker (Target)

So fun, so easy – mini waffle makers will help you meet your next bff. Target sells a ton of makers in cute different shapes for your next breakfast. This can also bring housemates together on dorm floors as who wouldn’t want to join a mini waffle maker party! This makes for a GREAT white elephant gift as well. 

1. Speaker (Best Buy)

A speaker is a must when it comes to my holiday wishlist. You don’t need to go after the mega expensive speakers, instead look for a more affordable one. Since we all do live in such close proximity to each other, your neighbors probably don’t want you to have a super loud speaker anyways :)

1. Cal Poly Merch (Cal Poly Bookstore)

You can never have too much merch! I know the CP store is right at our fingertips but it’s fun to have school spirit and represent Poly. Plus, most parents love to support the school and buying at the bookstore is a great way to do so.

1. Brita Water Bottle (Amazon0

If you do not have one of these yet, you are missing out! The Brita water Bottle is basically the Brita filter but in water bottle form! It is so convenient and lasts forever; I’ve had mine since freshman year!

I hope some of these gifts inspired/ made it onto your wishlist. I know a pair of cowboy boots is heading to the top of my list. Happy Holidays!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.