Internship Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You’ve submitted the applications, made the phone calls, sent the emails and endured the interviews. After the waiting game is done and you snag that summer internship, all that’s left to do now (besides jumping up and down in glee, of course) is to prepare. Don’t make any rookie mistakes. Here’s our guide to internship etiquette:

Don’t be late

This one’s a no-brainer. You don’t want to show up late on your first (or any) day of work. You need to be professional and show you care about the job you’re doing by arriving on time everyday.

Do dress appropriately

Although spaghetti straps, short-shorts, and flip-flops are a must in the summer, they are a big no-no for your internship. However, you may not need to adorn a pencil skirt, blazer and heels everyday either. If you’re not sure how professional to dress, ask your supervisor whether there is a uniform or dress code. When in doubt, dress fancy.

Don’t text during work

Yes, you can get away with this under your teacher’s nose during class, but don’t risk it while you’re at work! 

Do bring a lunch

Unless you want to end up spending your hard-earned cash at the over-priced café across the street, pack a lunch. Chances are, there’ll be a communal microwave somewhere you can use to heat up last night’s leftovers.

Don’t stay up too late the night before

Your supervisor will notice those dark circles. Don’t procrastinate and pull an all-nighter working on that project they assigned to you last week or stay out late partying with friends if you have work the next day.

Do talk to your supervisor

They might seem all high-and-mighty, but your supervisor is a person too! Get to know them, find out what you have in common, bond. If you play your cards right, they just might write you a fantastic letter of recommendation that will make your résumé shine.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions

If you are confused, ask for clarification! It’s better to get it right the first time than pretending like you know what you’re doing and botching it. Your supervisor is there to help you learn– they want you to succeed.

Do write a handwritten thank-you

Sending a handwritten thank-you card to your supervisor after you finish your internship might sound cheesy, but it’s a necessity. Your employer will know that you really valued your experience with them and just might invite you back next summer.

Follow these rules, and you’ll be the best intern in the office. We’ll raise our fetched-by-the-intern Starbucks cups to that.

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu