If You Love Noah Kahan, Here’s Who Else to Add to your Folk Malone Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Noah Kahan has taken over the music scene equipped with only a guitar and a pair of pony tails. His raw lyrics and powerful chords, alongside his charming and self-deprecating media presence, have hit the hearts of millions. His first album Busyhead was released in 2019 and contains gems like “Mess” and “False Confidence.” However, his third album Stick Season propelled him to be a sensation outside of the folk genre. Kahan has garnered the nickname “Folk Malone” and has even collaborated with the real Post Malone as well as other artists. Because Noah recently released a new song “Forever” and two new collaborations on February 9th, here are some other artists to add to your Folk Malone playlist.

The Obvious Choices:

If you have loved Noah Kahan for sometime, then these artists are no-brainers to include in your playlist. 

Hozier and Noah have been regarded as the step-brothers of rock folk so you must add some of his best songs like “Would That I,” “Francesca,” or “Almost (Sweet Music).” If you want to maintain a vibe of standing on a mountaintop, then mix in some Caamp (“Lavender Girl,” “The Otter,” and “Found (Forever)”) and Mt. Joy (“Silver Lining” and “Roly Poly”) for optimal folk. “Silver Lining” gives strong Noah energy with punching lyrics and chords that reverberate through the soul. Lizzy McAlpine will bring the emotions of heartbreaking longing with a side of understanding that letting go was for the best in songs like “Reckless Driving” or “Ceilings.” Check out “Apple Pie,” “I Knew,” or “To the Mountains” for softer tunes to conclude the campfire. Phoebe Bridgers creates dreamy and earth-shattering tunes in “Motion Sickness” and “Waiting Room.” Closing out with some lyrical genius, Zach Bryan will have you rethinking every relationship as you listen to “Younger Years,” “Mine Again,” and “Burn, Burn, Burn.” No Folk Malone playlist would be complete without half of the inspiration: Post Malone. “Circles” is a mainstream classic and will boost your playlist with a bit of pop, but “Overdrive” and “Stay” are best to meld Noah and Post’s unique styles. 

Out of these amazing artists, Hozier, Lizzy McAlpine, and Post Malone already have collaborations with Noah Kahan from his album Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever) and Noah appears on Zach Bryan’s EP Boys of Faith.

The Underground:

If you’re looking for some new up and coming artists to spice up your playlist a bit, look no further.

You can find all kinds of Noah Kahan je ne sais quoi in Sumbuck with heartfelt melodies in “Tigersharks,” “Heartbreak Swing,” and “Moss.” The 502s will add a beachy twist to your playlist with “Magdalene” and “Postcards.” Anyone who has seen Ted Lasso might recognize Cam Cole from the episode where Rebecca hosts a charity auction and needs a last minute singer; shoutout to Ted for bringing Cam, a local street artist, onstage and saving the show. Cam has revived the classic styles of rock n roll with “Mama” and “I See”; he would pair nicely with Noah and I think a remix of “New Age Blues” and “New Perspective” is needed ASAP. Every Cal Poly student needs to give some attention to Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners because you can catch them at Shabang in May playing relaxing yet invigorating tunes such as “Subliming,” “Lake Missoula,” and “Sage.” The guitar strums of “Evergreen” have added a nostalgic and cinematic background to many of your favorite artsy TikToks. Sam Fender just recently recorded “Homesick” with Noah Kahan and it took the song to a new level. Check out “Seventeen Going Under” and “Will We Talk?” if you basically want to hear Noah as if he was in a 2000s band.

No matter if you have been a fan of Noah’s since before his TikTok hype, his songs are for everyone. When crafting your own Stick Season inspired playlist, find the vibe that works best for you whether that is folk, beach, slow, acoustic, or anything under the sun. If you want some inspiration or are simply lazy and want to start listening, I have attached a playlist below to kickstart your Folk Malone journey. Enjoy!

Sam is a first-year Economics Major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She is currently involved in Her Campus as an editorial writer and a part of other Cal Poly clubs such as Investing and Waterski. Sam loves traveling, The Princess Diaries, strawberries, reading, and winning at card games. If she's not making a new Spotify playlist, you'll catch her working out or hanging out with friends!