How to Survive Campus Dining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You just got back from winter break full of your mom’s home-cooked meals, and now you’re stuck eating dorm food again. College food is notoriously bad, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make it through the last two quarters! Here are a few pieces of advice for those who live on campus.

Make sure you look at all of your meal options before making your decision. Some times of the day are better for Mac n Cheese than others. Since there are multiple restaurants on campus, one or two are better for lunch while the others serve better options for dinner.

It’s always important to make sure the food is fresh enough. If you really want to get the freshest food, you can even ask when it is switched out.

You can also be creative while crafting a meal at some places! Don’t think you’re stuck with what’s in front of you. If your favorite pasta is being served with some gross-looking chicken, just get the pasta and walk over to another station and get fresher chicken. When you are picking the best options, you are more likely to enjoy eating on campus, because you’re not eating the same thing every day.

Another thing you can do is try to keep a decent supply of snacks in your room. When you don’t feel like eating anything on campus besides the usual salad, keep some protein-rich beef jerky on hand and some frozen burritos in the fridge. It is a lot easier to take breaks from campus dining if you have a good amount of food in your room.

The last piece of advice is to order delivery every once in a while! You can split the cost with your roommates. There are plenty of options for take out: pizza, chicken wings and maybe even pasta. It is always nice to have a delicious pizza from Woodstock’s with your friends instead of the daily campus food!

So next time you feel like you can’t handle the food on campus anymore, remember to be creative in your choices. Snacks are a big helper in between meals and take out is never a bad option when you can afford it!

I am a first year Cal Poly journalism student! I am from Truckee, CA and I love to be outside and listen to reggae
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.