This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Are you looking to get off campus for a fall experience like no other? Avila Valley Barn in San Luis Obispo is the place to go! During the fall, this family-owned barn has a handful of activities to do with your friends. 

A popular attraction at the Avila Valley Barn is the farm animals. I went to the barn in fall 2020 and had to wait in line to get in due to Covid-19 regulations. While waiting in the queue, my friends and I were entertained by the farm animals placed right next to us! Some of the animals included goats, sheep, llamas, and cows that you can pet. They also have cage-free chickens that strut around the barn. 

My friends and I also wanted to take pictures for our Instagram that had the perfect fall vibe. The sunflower field and pumpkin patch well satisfied our needs. We were not the only ones with this idea, as many other visitors were capturing and posing for pictures throughout the barn as well. The whole barn is picturesque, and I encourage you to check it out for yourself.

The bakery gives off a sweet aroma that you can smell as soon as you walk through the barn gates. The hand-mixed pies made with whole fruit are one of the biggest sellers in the bakery. Pie flavors vary from an assortment of fruits including the famous dutch apple pie, to the novelty pumpkin pie, to the fabulous olallieberry french pie. A yummy goodie that I tried was the apple fritter. Get your forks ready to dig in on the car ride home because they are delicious!

If you are yearning for fall, come to Avila Valley Barn to get your fix. You can pet a goat, snap a picture, and enjoy a piece of pie while you’re there. 

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.