For Those Who Missed Out in 2014: Everything You Need to Know About The Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

On September 14, 2008, the literary world as we knew it was permanently altered with the release of Suzanne Collins’ novel, The Hunger Games. This three-book series was responsible for revitalizing young adult literature and got young people genuinely interested in the dystopian genre. The main series is comprised of three books: The Hunger Games (2008), Catching Fire (2009), and Mockingjay (2010), with a fourth prequel book being released in 2020, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. All four novels have been adapted into films; the original series was released as a four-film saga from 2012 to 2015, and The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes movie debuted in November of 2023. With over 3.5 million copies of the prequel novel sold and its film grossing $300 million in its first month since premiering, we have officially entered a Hunger Games renaissance. So in case you missed out in 2014, here’s everything you need to know about The Hunger Games.

Suzanne Collins was born in 1962 in Hartford, Connecticut, and received an M.F.A in dramatic writing from New York University in 1989 before pursuing a career in screenwriting throughout the 90s. In the early 2000s, she wrote and published The Underland Chronicles (2003-2007) in which she established her own literary niche of introducing young audiences to the complex topics of genocide and war; a niche that was heavily influenced by lessons learned from her father, an Air Force career officer. It was not until 2008 that Collins introduced The Hunger Games into the literary spotlight. In an interview with Dave Levithan of The New York Times, Suzanne Collins explains that she was inspired to write The Hunger Games (2008) after flipping through television channels and seeing it switch between footage from the war in Iraq and reality TV shows. After completing her other successful series The Underland Chronicles (2003-2007), Collins wanted to begin a new project that presented the just-war theory to young audiences in a way unique from The Underland Chronicles (2003-2007), and combined with her casual television browsing, The Hunger Games was born.

The Hunger Games falls under the umbrella of dystopian literature, a genre first appearing in 1868 when philosopher John Stuart Mill coined the term “dystopia” to juxtapose the concept of a utopia in his critiques of the English government’s Irish land policy. In typical dystopian fashion, The Hunger Games explores social and political structures of a fictitious landscape that is analogous to our own society. In the books, the state of Panem dramatizes current issues with class inequity, labor conditions, and political corruption in addition to delving into the just-war theory, which questions when and with what authority a war should be fought. Fascinating social and political commentary aside, The Hunger Games series played a tremendous role in reviving the young adult literature scene; it discusses complex topics in a comprehensive manner that allows young people to uniquely understand global issues. Dystopian literature has become one of the most popular genres for young adult audiences, with series like Veronica Roth’s Divergent (2011-2013) and Marie Lu’s Legend (2011-2019) taking inspiration from Collins’ revolutionary series.

Before going to see The Hunger Games prequel film, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, knowing some background information on the original series is essential. There is too much nuance to the original series to adequately detail, but in case there is not enough time to read through all four books before your movie time, I want to offer some context to help enhance your experience.

Without the context of the first three books, a false sense of empathy is created around the character of Coriolanus Snow, who eventually becomes President Snow, the main antagonist of the original series. President Snow is responsible for upholding the institution of the games and actively terrorizes Katniss and those she loves, even going so far as to hijack Peeta because he knows Katniss cares about him and wants to destroy her as a symbol of the revolution. In The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, though, we see not President Snow, but Coriolanus, an ambitious student struggling to survive and live up to his family name’s reputation in the immediate aftermath of a war. When reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, you find yourself rooting for Coriolanus to succeed, nearly forgetting that this is the same character responsible for the deaths of the beloved Finnick, Cinna, and Rue (along with countless others) and for the torture of Peeta and Johanna. Additionally, The Hunger Games provides necessary context in explaining how the Games expanded over the years. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes showcases the 10th Annual Hunger Games, creating a basis for comparison with the 74th and 75th Annual Hunger Games depicted in the original series; we can see how, over the years, there have been developments in the institution of sponsor gifts, the formalization of the mentor program from being Capitol Academy students to being previous Victors, the nationally televised tribute interviews and parades, and most importantly, the quality of life enjoyed by the tributes in the time between their Reaping and their entering the Games.

In reading the prequel, fanatics of the original series will also notice mentions of the Katniss plant for which the protagonist of The Hunger Games was named, as well as the role Coriolanus played in shaping the Games into a true entertainment spectacle during his time as a student mentor. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes characters Lucy Gray and Sejanus Plinth haunt Coriolanus Snow in The Hunger Games through Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen–who serve as the sparks of the revolution in the original series. The prequel novel and Coriolanus’ relationships with Sejanus and Lucy Gray help explain why President Snow personally despises Katniss and Peeta to such an extreme level. Sejanus’ active revolutionary spirit is reflected in Katniss, while the unwavering generosity and kindness of Lucy Gray is reflected in Peeta, with Katniss and Peeta’s romantic relationship representing all Coriolanus wished he could have had with Lucy Gray. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes gives new depth of meaning to the original series, providing context for the antagonists’ motivations and illustrating society’s disturbing tendency to prioritize entertainment value, even when that entertainment is the result of cruelty.

This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes enriches The Hunger Games series. Suzanne Collins’ literary masterpieces are sure to become future classics, and considering the novels and films together allows audiences to realize Collins’ intriguing insight as to the state of the world and our collective desensitization to violence and corruption. Though the best way to understand the prequel film is to either read or watch the original series, I hope my brief introduction will help anyone who needs a bit of initial background information. The Hunger Games renaissance is truly upon us, and I highly encourage everyone to go see the new movie The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and engage in the discourse it prompts.

Sophia Campbell

Cal Poly '27

Sophia is a first year English major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo hoping to pursue a career in either sports journalism or publishing and screenwriting. She is excited to be a member of Her Campus Cal Poly for the Editorial team. She is passionate about sports, music, literature, fashion, and environmental justice.