Feel Better on Your Period: Natural Remedies for PMS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

No. Already? Has it really been a month? Here we go again with the waves of emotional fatigue, unmanageable cramping, unflattering bloating and insatiable cravings. With PMS symptoms starting up to a week before your Aunt Flow arrives, we truly only have about two to three weeks symptom-free. Stop hiding out in bed and get back to the beach, to the Rec pool, or even to the gym with these natural remedies by adding a few of these tricks to your daily routine.

Stay hydrated

Keeping your body hydrated is essential during this time of the month.  Extra hydration helps to flush out and prevent the production of hormones that produce cramps. Keep away from high caffeinated drinks like coffee and replace with green tea. Green tea won’t contribute to the stomach pain and gas that often comes around with your period. You might think coffee will help your bloating because its a diuretic, it contributes tremendously to gas and diarrhea while on your period.

Warm up

Kick back, relax and keep your body warm. Use a heating pad while you’re studying or watching a movie. Take a warm bath and read a book, listen to music, or browse your favorite online magazine, Her Campus. The heat relaxes your muscles, easing your flow and relieving cramps.

Hit the gym

Ok, we all know the last thing you want to do this week is get out of bed and do some serious cardio, so take it easy! Take advantage of the group fitness classes at the Rec Center and do some yoga. According to The Health Site online, several yoga poses help relieve menstrual cramps. The stretching and relaxation from yoga also helps relieve lower back pain. According to Women’s Health Magazine online, regular yoga sessions can help prevent future intense menstrual cramps and reduce a heavier flow. Keep up with your workout routine through the month to make this time of the month flow a little smoother.

Eat your greens

During our periods, our iron and magnesium levels drop. Leafy greens are filled with lots of these along with bonus vitamins including vitamins A and K. Replenishing your iron, magnesium and vitamins help reduce stress and prevent migraines and muscle cramps. Other foods that are rich with iron and vitamins are red meat, legumes, fortified breads and apricots. Citrus fruits help the absorption of iron, so try combining them for something delicious like a spinach salad with roasted chicken, tangerines, sliced almonds and a little olive oil and vinegar.

Have sex

That’s right. You heard me. Grab your man and hit the sheets … or the shower. According to Sex Info Online, having sex on your period has lots of benefits that you wouldn’t believe. Have you ever found yourself more easily turned on during your period? That may just be Mother Nature’s apology for all the ugliness of your period. Extra hormones pump through your body, which cause you to get more easily aroused and, oftentimes, more easily satisfied. The contractions you feel when you orgasm help to smooth out your flow which can shorten your period and relieve painful cramps. For easy cleanup, use latex condoms and let him be on top. Try it out on a low flow day or check out the Softcup. It’s a newer product that can be inserted into the vagina and blocks menstrual flow for up to 12 hours and can be used during sex without your partner knowing a thing.

So if you’re tired of being bedridden by your period and spending too much money on Midol, add these tips and tricks to your daily routine and see what a difference they make! You’ll feel better and healthier every day, making that time of the month just that much easier. For more info on ways to feel better during your period, check out Thank Your Body online and Organic Authority.

As a Cal Poly mechanical engineering student from the LA suburbs of Pasadena, California, I like to think of myself as a bit of a nerd, a total foodie, and an occasional fashionista....at least I follow lots of fashionistas on Instagram. Does that count? When I'm not living in the library I love soaking up the sun along with all the beauty and activities the central coast has to offer including hiking, kayaking, and, of course, enjoying the endless variety of local food options.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.