Anna Schultz-Girl With Hands In Hair On Beach Inspirational
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

Fall Hair Trends to Try Out ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Fall is officially underway, which means it’s time to update that quarantine hair! With many salons closed up until last month, most of us have been rocking grown out locks or DIY looks from the months spent at home. Right now it’s the perfect time to take advantage of salons being open and hop on the top hair trends for fall (remember your mask!). Even if we’re in our pajamas on Zoom, at least our hair will look good. 

Here are some of the top trends to consider for fall. 

Soft Updos

A soft updo looks effortless, no matter the season. It’s great for fall, however, because they let you go longer in between washes. As it starts to cool down during fall, the dry air can really take its toll on our hair. Let your hair keep some of its natural oils by washing it less, and stretching your styles another day.

Updos are perfect for hair that’s a little dirty; add some dry shampoo and some waves and pull it up. If you have naturally fine, straight hair, tease around the roots to hide any greasiness.

It doesn’t have to be too complicated. Start with a messy bun, or braid some of the hair from the front, then use bobby pins or cute hair clips to tuck it all up in the back.

Texturized Waves

Just because it’s fall doesn’t mean we have to abandon our beach waves altogether! Keep the hot tools ready (at a low heat of course). 

For fall, the look is going to be looser, more gentle waves. Don’t worry about precision with this one; go through your hair with a curling or flat iron, adding waves mostly through the top and middle sections. Brush it out to leave just enough texture to keep your hair from falling flat.

Long Curtain Bangs

Long bangs are perfect because you still get the fun of having bangs but not the awkward growing-out stages. Curtain bangs have taken social media by storm, with a lot of girls attempting to create the look at home. While this isn’t the hardest thing to do yourself (at least with the right scissors), going to a professional is always a safer bet. 

Curtain bangs frame your face and make your hair look like it has some movement even if you don’t do anything to it that day. They also look super cute curled away from the face. Ask for long layers with these and your hair will look flowy and not too heavy.

Jewel/Warm Tones

Fall is the time to warm up that hair color. For those that like to keep natural colors, some warm toned highlights are on trend for this fall. On dark hair, caramel highlights look super flattering. 

For those of us that are growing out bleached or light colored hair, jewel tones are the way to go. It’s always easier to do a darker color with little damage after having pre-lightened hair. Reds, dark purples, magentas and emeralds are perfect ways to darken up your ‘do without abandoning the fun of having colored hair. Darker colors are also more flattering with grown out roots, so it’s perfect if you’re trying to grow out your natural color. If you already have pre-lightened hair, it’s not too hard to do this color transformation at home if you’re so inclined. Arctic Fox has great semi-permanent colors that don’t damage your hair. Remember to stay within the same color family of whatever colors you already have in your hair to prevent the new color from looking muddy.

Blunt Bobs

Chopping off some length was definitely a trend during our quarantined summer, and it’s sticking around. Everyone, from models to actresses, are opting for a blunt, shoulder length cut that is effortless and chic. It’s easy to style and maintain, and trimming off those ends to get this look is a great way to make your hair feel healthy and refreshed.

For those that want to go a bit more bold, the french bob is also a popular look for this fall. It’s closer to chin length, with lots of layers, making a textured look.

Hi, I'm Daytona and I'm a 3rd year journalism major. I love all things beauty and self care related. When I'm not in class or at work, I'm finding new ways to change up my look or go to the beach with my friends.