Everything You Need to Know About SLO’s Upcoming Film Fest, Short Cuts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The San Luis Obispo International Film Festival is a six-day annual event showcasing classic and contemporary film screenings. The festival features Short Cuts, an exhibition of six short films made by Cal Poly students. The screenings will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 28 at The Fremont Theater. 

The Short Cuts filmmaking process occurs in Professor Randi Barros’s sequence of Media Arts and Technology courses, Storytelling (ISLA 340) and Cinematic Processes (ISLA 341). Students acquire screenwriting skills in ISLA 340, and eventually scripts written in the class are pitched and voted on by classmates. In ISLA 341, teams of students work hard to transform these screenplays into short films under the guidance of Professor Barros. Casting, location scouting and editing are just a few components of the production process managed entirely by students. 

Professor Barros proudly noted that this year’s six selections are, “Some of the best films we’ve had so far.” In class, she teaches that the purpose of a story is to connect; these passionate and enthusiastic students have certainly put forth the work to connect with their audiences. The emotionally charged films touch on several important and relatable human experiences, from redefining true friendship to navigating gender and sexuality. 

“We put an insane amount of effort and talent into this project, and the same can be said about all the teams,” said Selina Madeira Dolscheid, student writer of one of the films, “Poetic Projection.” Her story offers intriguing commentary on dating culture, gender and the male gaze. “We are all incredibly inspired by each other and I know tears were shed on the last day of class,” said Dolscheid. 

People of all backgrounds may engage with the filmmakers’ creative visions and connect to meaningful themes. Tickets for Short Cuts are on sale now, and should be reserved in advance as attendance may be limited. Student admission is free and general admission costs $10. Access to the virtual screenings (beginning on Sunday, May 1st through Sunday, May 8th) costs $5 for students and $10 for general.