Style > Fashion

Elevating your Winter Wardrobe: The Power of Accessories in the Chilly Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As we enter into the winter season, styling outfits becomes focused on layering and staying warm. As someone whose style doesn’t normally thrive in dressing for the cold, I decided to explore the possibilities of elevating a winter wardrobe through accessories. 

Hats are already one of the most versatile and exciting accessories. Winter hats are not only crucial for warmth, but can upgrade your outfit and transform it into something more unique.

Beanies are the comfiest and most adaptable of the winter hat options. Even within the category of beanies, there is still so much versatility. Bobble hat beanies, fluffy beanies, pattern beanies- the opportunities are endless. There are many different shapes and sizes to fit specific head types, allowing everyone to find a beanie to match their style and look. 

In terms of winter hats, fur hats are a personal favorite of mine. Fur is an essential winter fabric, and there are a wide range of styles; Russian Cossack hats, aviator hats, roller hats etc. Fur hats embody the essence of winter and elevate any outfit into a chic and high-fashion look. 

If hats are too weighty or sizable, earmuffs are the perfect accessory to keep your ears warm, and can be a sassy addition to any outfit. Ranging in size, color, and fluff levels, earmuffs are the type of accessory that can elevate even the most basic outfit. As over the ear headphones have made a comeback in fashion, earmuffs embody a similar look, with an emphasis on winter and warmth. 

Similar to earmuffs, leg warmers provide a practical purpose while still being one of the cutest winter accessories. They offer up the opportunity to wear a wider variety of bottoms than winter normally allows for. Wearing leg warmers, and potentially some tights underneath, you can explore skirts, dresses, or even shorts. The bunchy, cozy appearance of leg warmers encapsulates the energy of winter. Leg warmers can be worn with sneakers, boots, and a wide variety of shoes. While I won’t be covering shoes in this article, boots are the ultimate shoe choice for winter. My favorite way to style leg warmers is with tights, a skirt, and knee high boots. 

In cold weather, gloves are absolutely crucial. Cold hands limit blood circulation and make everyday activities much more difficult. I personally don’t love full length gloves and tend to gravitate towards fingerless gloves. I appreciate having my fingers free to go about my daily activities, while still receiving the warmth of the glove. Fingerless gloves can be short or long, providing different levels of warmth depending on the outfit and the weather. My fingerless gloves reach all the way up to my elbow, and can be used as arm warmers or a layering technique for maximum warmth. I recently bought a pair of short gloves which I plan to DIY into fingerless gloves by cutting off the fingertips. 

This winter season I decided to embrace the possibilities of scarves. In previous winters I had dismissed scarves as itchy and uncomfortable, but after rediscovering the only scarf I own, I began to realize the sophisticated effect scarves can have on an outfit. Scarves are a snug accessory that can be styled around the neck or over the head in a babushka style. Scarves are chic and timeless, and with the wide variety of patterns and styles to choose from, the opportunities for creative expression are abundant.  

In the chilly winter weather, layering is crucial for staying warm and looking cute. Vests are a jazzy item to layer over hoodies or shirts. The variety of fabrics used for vests offer up opportunities to accentuate personal style. Both fur vests and puffer vests are a fantastic winter staple that emit very different energies; nevertheless the opportunities for styling either are endless. I tend to lean towards my fur vests when I am looking to add a chic flare to my outfit. Puffer vests are more outdoorsy, but have simultaneously entered mainstream fashion as a trendy street style. Vests have captured my attention as a crucial item to have in your closet this winter. 

Styling for winter doesn’t have to be boring! Utilizing accessories for both warmth and fashion is an extraordinary way to excite and improve your look. This winter, embrace the chilly season and explore the fashion opportunities that come with it. 

Sasha Hopewell

Cal Poly '26

Sasha Hopewell is a 20 year old student attending Cal Poly, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies and minoring in Studio Art. Born and raised in San Francisco, Sasha loves fashion, art, writing, lifting, and being outdoors. She is event planner for Cal Poly fashion club "FITS" and plans on studying abroad at London College of Fashion next year.