Don’t be Hallo-weak: Tips on How to Have the Best Halloweekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s time to break out your pumpkin spice lattes and amazon orders because it’s Halloweekend! Here are some tips on how to make the most of your Halloweekend (while also being able to make it to actual Halloween on Tuesday)!

1. Drink Your Water

It’s important to stay hydrated throughout your daily life, especially if you are going out at night. Remember to drink water throughout the day and also to fill up your cauldron for that chilled drink at the end of the night. 

1. Eat Some Food

No one likes a hangover, and since Halloweekend is considered three days, it can be especially deadly. Remember to eat three nutritious meals a day. Carbs and starches are great for treating and preventing hangovers, so put down that KitKat and grab a breakfast burrito! Vista Grande has plenty of great options but if you are looking for something off-campus, I personally love the burritos at Splash Cafe or Charlie’s Place.

1. Charge Your Phone

If you are going out, remember to charge your phone! You always want to have a way to stay in contact with people, call an uber or map your way home. Sadly, we are out of luck with flying brooms.

1. Map it Out

When walking to a party, remember to check your route beforehand so you know exactly where you are headed to. Also double check you have the right address!

1. Check out Some Spooky Sights on Campus

Friday 10/27: Check out the Friday Night Movie Social at the Health and Wellbeing patio from 6-8pm. Instagram followers of @calpolyrecovery will be voting between screening Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, or Scream. From there, you can pop on over to the Sinister Circus on Cerro Hill from 8-11pm with a haunted house and costume dance party. 

Saturday 10/28: Head over to the Rec to experience Fright Fest from 9pm-2am! Not only will you find fun activities such as scavenger hunts, inflatables, crate stacking, and rollerblading, but there will also be FREE Woodstock pizza and SLO Mama Sweets.

Sunday 10/29: Want some free donuts and maybe pick up some Paths credit along the way? There is a neighborhood clean-up from 10am-noon on the corner of Hathway and Longview to help brighten the Cal Poly community after a fun weekend. 

1. Go Pumpkin Carving

Want to get into the Halloween mood and carve some Jack-o-lanterns? Make sure to check out Brookshire Farms, Avila Valley Barn, or SLO Creek Farms to find the best pumpkins and some more fall activities like tractor rides, corn mazes, and grab some cute photos along the way!

1. Bake Sweet Treats

You cannot have Halloween without a sweet treat–grab some Pillsbury Pumpkin Cookies from your nearest store, or use UberEats for all my fellow freshmen with no cars. Get ready for a delicious treat that is bound to scare away any Sunday Scaries!

1. Movie Marathon

If you prefer a cozy Halloweekend, you have to have a movie marathon! You can never go wrong with a Disney Channel Classic like Twitches, Halloweentown, Girl V. Monster, or Hocus Pocus. If you’re looking for a scare, check out the Scream franchise, Halloween, Us, Get Out, The Conjuring, or The Shining. Maybe you want a classic fall movie with favorites like Practical Magic, When Harry Met Sally, Ghostbusters, Remember the Titans, or It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. 

The best way to not be Hallo-weak is to do what you enjoy and not give into peer pressure. If something makes you uncomfortable, speak up. Whether you’re looking for a spooky night out or a cozy night in, remember to be safe and have fun!

Sam is a first-year Economics Major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She is currently involved in Her Campus as an editorial writer and a part of other Cal Poly clubs such as Investing and Waterski. Sam loves traveling, The Princess Diaries, strawberries, reading, and winning at card games. If she's not making a new Spotify playlist, you'll catch her working out or hanging out with friends!