The Cycle of a Relationship (According to Taylor Swift)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Taylor Swift is the queen of romance. She’s written hundreds of songs on the topic and been in plenty of relationships to have enough expertise to know what she’s talking about. As a teenage girl, I feel that there’s at least one (if not a million) points in time when a Taylor Swift song is applicable to my life, especially my emotional problems concerning B-O-Y-S. She’s been there for me when no one else could.

So now, I present to you the cycle of a relationship, according to Taylor Swift.

You Belong with Me

“I’m dreaming about the day when you wake up and find that what you’re looking for has been here the whole time.”

So, you’re madly in love with your best friend… And you know that their current significant other just isn’t as great as you could be. You daydream about them finally getting the hint, but until then, you’ll just hide your tremendous feelings of affection and wait until they notice you.

Everything Has Changed

“You’ll be mine and I’ll be yours, all I know since yesterday is everything has changed.”

You finally confessed your feelings…. And guess what? They were reciprocated. Now that you’re dating your one and only, you can finally belt out the lyrics to my personal fave T-Swift song.

“Love Story”

“You’ll be the prince and I’ll be the Princess, it’s a love story, baby just say yes.”

Everything is just fine and dandy in the land of love. You and your significant other are perfect for each other, and all you can see is their face in little heart shapes everywhere.

“Out of the Woods”

“Remember when we couldn’t take the heat, I walked out, I said I’m settin’ you free. But the monsters turned out to be just trees.”

Like every relationship, you’ve hit a rough patch. Maybe you don’t feel as close to your significant other, or maybe you’re realizing you two just don’t fit together in the way you expected. Maybe they hate One Direction, while your favorite song is “What Makes You Beautiful.”  Nevertheless, there still remains some hope for the both of you.

“Last Kiss”

“And I watch your life in pictures like I used to watch you sleep. And I feel you forget me like I used to feel you breathe.”

Unfortunately, you were unable to solve the problems you faced. You bid them farewell with a last kiss. Cue the single tear streaming down your face. You spend the next couple days in your pj’s, stuffing your face with Ben & Jerry’s and watching Titanic.

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”

“We are never getting back together. Like ever.”

All the sadness, moping and crying has led to some pent up rage. You’re past the point of sobbing about all the good times to your girlfriends. The fire of love has been replaced by a raging flame of hatred, one that leaves you boycotting everything about your ex. You rip up the photos and delete their contact.

“Shake It Off”

“Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break, break, baby I’m just gonna shake it off.”

It’s time to wipe your emotional hard drive clean of the memories, because now you’re invincible. You no longer care about your ex, who they date or what they think of you. This new self-realization of confidence has made you strut your stuff and not give a damn.

“Blank Space”

“But I’ve got a blank space, baby. And I’ll write your name.”

You’re on the prowl for a new love. Maybe you’re winking at every attractive person you see, or maybe you’ve just created a Tinder account—either way, love is an open door and you’re ready to launch back into the land of love and loss. Press play, repeat.

Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8