Girl Farming
Girl Farming
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Celebrating Earth Day With The Truth About Our Current Food System

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Earth Day celebrations happen around the world and what better way to celebrate than educating oneself and appreciating the environment? Watching films with a focus on the environment is an enjoyable way to do so; Common Ground was screened in over 75 cities nationwide for a super screening on Monday, April 22 in honor of Earth Day. 

Common Ground, the highly anticipated sequel to the widely successful documentary Kiss The Ground, is a film that “unveils a dark web of money, power, and politics behind our broken food system (read more about it here!).” The film highlights the “regenerative” methods of agriculture that could “balance the climate, save our health, and stabilize America’s economy —before it’s too late.” 

Our current food system has been built atop unjust practices and all the while farmers of all colors are compromising their own health in order to feed our economy. The film combines a journalistic expose with multiple farmers’ personal stories and environmental activists’ points of view.

Big Picture Ranch is the studio behind the success of both Kiss The Ground, Common Ground, and other documentaries. Josh and Rebecca Tickell are the founders of the Big Picture Ranch, an avocado farm and film studio, located in Los Padres National Forest in Ojai, California. The husband and wife duo are both accomplished directors and producers, authors, and environmental activists. Their very first film, Fuel, won the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival. 

Laura Dern, Jason Mamoa, Ian Somerhalder, and Nikki Reed are just a few of the famous faces that appear in the film. While these celebrities and others have become known for their activism outside of their acting careers, the farmers are the real stars of the film. Their intimate stories about the current state of our food system and implementing “regenerative” methods of agriculture, create a sense of hope for our future. They pour their heart and soul into producing our food and if society doesn’t help take action, our future will continue to head in the direction of more deaths and the continuation of an unhealthy climate. 

Kiss The Ground premiered September 22, 2020, and is now streaming on Netflix. Its release “inspired the United States Department of Agriculture to put $20 billion toward soil health.” Common Ground was released three years later, on September 29, 2023. To continue educating future generations, there’s a way to request an educational version of the film for viewing in schools.

Watching the film is the first step society can take to educate ourselves on these “regenerative” practices (join the movement!). Our future is at stake.

Bella Cox

Cal Poly '26

Bella Cox is a second-year student at Cal Poly, majoring in Journalism. She is currently involved in Her Campus as a writer on the editorial team. Beyond her academic pursuits, she finds joy in exploring new places, immersing herself in literature, volunteering within her community, and journaling about life. She is eager to pursue a career where she can share her writing with as many people as possible, and maybe even travel while doing so!