Casual Instagram Style Rivals Over Influencer Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s 2012 and you download an app called Instagram for the first time. You casually upload personal photos, unedited selfies, cute and funny images from the Internet, and maybe play around with filters a little. It’s a social media era of casual sharing where the only purpose is to have fun with the app and keep up with friends.

Fast-forward a few years and the era has completely changed. The term “Instagram influencer” has been added to our vocabulary with users making a career out of their accounts, profiles are themed, businesses and companies are sponsoring posts, and almost everyone you know is on the app. 

However, take it to the present day, and we are seeing a comeback with casual posting as this new, yet old, the trend continues to grow. 

2021’s version of casual posting involves random and spontaneous posting, curating your account to images you like, not what you think will get you the most likes or attention from followers. Posting a “photo dump” is a popular component of casual posting which involves posts with a random assortment of multiple pictures. Casual posting is all about posting whatever you want whenever you want. Some influencers have even hopped on to this trend, making casual posting even more popular. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdW-wOrFMQ/ 

https://www.instagram.com/p/COEcfm0LhC1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLcQZxenWSN/

This casual Instagram style stems from the idea that social media is not a determiner of life success, but rather just a fun way to share things you enjoy as well as seeing what your friends enjoy. 

Influencer culture has made social media a somewhat competitive, and sometimes unenjoyable place. Casual posting takes the seriousness out of Instagram, and brings back the carefree, 2012 type fun of the app. 

This is not to say that individuals should not try to pursue a career out of social media, as this is a business venture that has also been growing and very popular among Millennials and Gen Z. Casual posting is more for those individuals who want a more carefree social media presence, and do not want the pressure that comes with expectations of posts on Instagram. 

The great thing about Instagram is there is a niche for everyone; if you want to be an influencer, promote your business, casual post for fun, and so much more, there is a space for you to do whatever you want on the app. This is why casual posting has become more and more popular, because there is no rule book to social media. 

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.