For All the Single Ladies: 8 Fun Things To Do This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Ugh, is it that time of year again? Valentine’s day is known as the bane of single people’s existence, but it doesn’t have to be. Maybe you feel like the only single friend in your group, or maybe you’re still getting over a bad break up. Whatever the case, Valentine’s Day can be made fun without all the romantic mushiness. Instead of moping around, watching wedding videos and crying yourself to death, why not try one of these?

1. Put your culinary skills to work

What’s Valentines Day but another holiday filled with delicious food? Find some heart-themed recipes online and start baking! You can go all-out and prepare an elaborate meal, or you could just whip up a pan of brownies. After you’re done, go ahead and hand out some of your masterpieces to your friends or neighbors. Not only is cooking fun and relaxing, but you might just make someone’s day with your surprise.

2. Call your family back home

Valentine’s Day isn’t all about relationships. It’s also a day to recognize the love that you have for friends and family. Your mom is probably dying for a call from you, so why not give her one today? Why not surprise your grandparents or your older sibling? Hearing the voices of people who love you is a quick mood-booster when you’re feeling down.

3. Take a yoga class

Remember that yoga class you took a few months ago, but couldn’t find time to try again? Set aside an hour or two on February 14. Your campus Rec Center is probably offering classes on Valentine’s Day, and yoga is the perfect way to keep your mind off of being “alone.” Yoga is a great way to relieve stress, anxiety, and let go of negative thoughts. You’ll also feel strong and energized afterwards. You’ll keep yourself busy and, by taking a group fitness class, you’ll be surrounded by a ton of other people who aren’t paired up.

4. Treat yo’ self

Feeling like having a night in? There’s nothing wrong with having some alone time, so embrace it! Give yourself a facial or paint your toenails. Find some DIY beauty recipes and test them out. Curl up with a good book or stream a new music playlist. Indulge in your favorite dessert and binge-watch some Netflix, because why the heck not? Valentine’s day is the perfect excuse to pamper yourself, because you deserve it.

5. Have a scary movie marathon

Gather up all of your single friends and pretend it’s Halloween instead of Valentine’s Day by watching some horror movies. Whether you choose to invade the common room or all huddle around someone’s laptop, this is the easiest way to have an awesome night with your friends. Start with tamer (or cheesier) movies and then gradually work up the scare factor as it gets later. (Remember, February 14 is on a Saturday this year, so staying up until 6 a.m. is totally fine).

6. Buy yourself something amazing

Remember, if you had a significant other, you would have had to buy them a present for the holiday. Think of all that extra money you’ve saved just by being single!  Hit the shops and get yourself something really nice that you’ve been wanting for a while. Why do you need someone else to spoil you when you can spoil yourself with a present you picked out yourself?

7. Throw an Anti-Valentine’s Day party

If you think that Valentine’s Day is an idiotic, consumerist-oriented waste of time, why not just make fun of it? This one could just be a spontaneous get-together with friends, or it could be a planned out event. Whatever the case, blast some single-girl anthems and have fun! For a darker twist, tell your party guests to wear all black and adorn your room with broken heart decorations. See if you can find a heart-shaped piñata and beat the crap out of that thing.

8. Go out and find other single people

Plenty of places around town might be hosting events for singles, so don’t be afraid to join in the fun. There may even be events on your college campus for the dateless. Grab some of your friends if you’re nervous, and go out and have fun. Remember, there are plenty of other single people just like you, so go out and find them. Who knows? Tonight could be the night that you meet the love of your life!

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8