This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether you’re a senior about to graduate in spring or you’re a freshman who is just finishing their second quarter, it’s likely that finding jobs or internships has been on your mind. We know that job hunting can be intimidating, so here’s 9 important tips you should know before you begin!

You should know that it’s never too early or too late to start looking

There’s nothing wrong with keeping your eye out for online job postings sooner rather than later. That being said, there’s also nothing wrong with starting your job search later than your peers; everyone goes at their own pace.

You should know what you want to do

Now, I don’t mean you have to know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life. Rather, you should know what you want to get out of this job. Are you looking for a position related to your major, one of your passions, or are you just looking for something to help pay the bills? Narrowing your search will save you a lot of time and energy. 

You should know when and where you’re available to work

This sounds obvious, but knowing these details from the very beginning of your job hunt can help you navigate the many job postings you can find online. You can immediately eliminate jobs you’re not available for and focus only on the ones that work for you and your schedule. Also, narrowing the places you’d be willing to work will help focus your job search as well. 

You should include keywords from job postings in your cover letter/resume

When you’re sending in your resume and cover letter for internships or jobs, it’s important to take the time to read through the job description. After that, you can edit your own resume and cover letter to better showcase you as the perfect candidate for them. You can do this by mirroring their language or using those key phrases related to desired skills. 

You should be able to explain why you want to work for this specific company/organization

If you get called for an interview, that’s great! But don’t forget that one of the important aspects of preparing for an interview is to research the company. Do you share core values or are you excited to learn from seasoned professionals? You should be able to concretely give a reason for seeking a role at a certain company to look better to your employers.

You should know how and when to send follow up emails

Sending follow up emails can be scary because you might feel like you’re annoying the recruiter or hiring manager. But, these are routine to being a part of the professional business world, so it’s important you know the best way to write them. Also, you should know when to send them, like after an interview or if you haven’t heard back from the company in a while.

You should know that you might be asked for work samples or to complete an assignment

Depending on the type of job you are looking for, some companies will ask you to provide past examples of projects you worked on. Be sure to clarify what type of work they’re looking for if you’re unsure. Or companies might send you a small assignment to work on and send back to them so they can gain a better understanding of you as a candidate. Don’t be nervous when you get these, and do your best! 

You should know that asking about salary or wages isn’t as taboo as you think

We’ve been taught that asking about money is rude, but when you’re looking to find a job, this is an important aspect to take into consideration. You don’t want to waste your energy seeking a job which doesn’t offer a sufficient salary or wage for your needs. When possible, ask tactfully about the logistics of the job (if it’s not already included in the job description).

You should know that interviews are also for you to see if the company is a good fit for you

Yes, interviews can be nerve wracking because you’ll be under scrutiny by some recruiter. But you should also take these interviews as an opportunity to see if these companies are ones that you will be interested in working for. If you feel they aren’t offering the culture you’re looking for or the role they describe just isn’t what you’re into, don’t be discouraged! Continue searching because you’ll find a place you will want to work eventually.

We hope that these tips are helpful while you’re looking for a job. No matter what, we’re confident that if you persist and do your best, you’ll find a position that works for you! We wish you the best of luck during your job hunt.

Allena Avila

Cal Poly '20

Allena is an editor and the Twitter social media manager for Her Campus Cal Poly. When she is not studying or working, she loves spending time outdoors in SLO or testing out a tasty new recipe to share with her friends.