8 Steps to Getting the Perfect Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Searching for your dream internship? With these steps, you’ll be hired in no time.

1. Narrow it down 

Decide what type of work you would actually enjoy doing. Slim your list down to a few interests, even if they have nothing to do with your major. If you’re studying math, but have always had a weak spot for animals, don’t hesitate to look into animal rescue or shelter programs. It’s better to explore those passions now. However, if you want experience in the field you’re thinking of going into, consider looking for a career-related internship. If you want to be a world-class architect, it’s probably a good idea to intern to make sure you actually like it.

2. Take a stroll down to the Career Center

The Career Center is an invaluable resource, especially if you are looking for an internship that will look spectacular on your resume and make you a more appealable candidate for your dream job. Check out their online internship listing, make an appointment or go to student drop-in hours, and they will help you explore your career options and guide you in the right direction for an internship that best suits you.

3. Check out your department’s website

Your major department is likely to have a list of internship opportunities on their website. Look at their online options or talk to your department head to find specific programs geared towards your major.

4. Talk to your teachers and advisors

Your advisor and favorite teachers might have some great recommendations of where you should apply. They probably also have some connections to help get your foot in the door. Talk to them — they’re more than willing to help you narrow down your options. Also, if you want to get academic credit for your internship, advisors can make it happen.

5. Do your research

This is the hardest part. Looking through hundreds of resources to see which internships fit your interests and personal preferences. Check out organizations you think are cool and see if they accept interns. If you can’t find information about interning with them, don’t worry! Send an inquiry email or make a phone call. I only got my internship as a curatorial assistant because I personally called the Museum Curator and specifically asked to be her intern for a few weeks. People are more than willing to let you work with them, you just need to reach out and ask!

Also, if you love to travel, consider interning abroad. The study abroad center has a quite a few internship resources and you can easily explore thousands of opportunities on the web.

6. Spruce up your résumé

Your resume can make or break your application, so make sure it’s fabulous! Look at sample resumes for your major or go to a resume workshop to get feedback and improve your on-paper appeal.

7. Apply, apply, apply!

You can never apply to too many internships. The more the merrier, they say. The greater number of applications you send, the more likely you will get accepted into one of them, which will give you a Plan B, C, D, etc. and more options to choose from.

8. Nail that interview

This is the scary part, but it means you’re almost there! Being professional during your interview is key, but don’t be too serious. Show your personality and follow your mother’s nagging advice and SMILE. To prepare, practice answering questions they may ask and look at the Career Center’s virtual interview practice.

I'm Frances. I'm 19 and am currently studying anthropology and geography at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo. My ultimate passion is travel but I also love to eat, cook, read, and write. I hope to join the Peace Corps in a few years and make a tiny difference in the world.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.