8 Romantic Movies Actually Worth Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s that time of year again: heart shaped decorations are everywhere, candy displays are piled high in every grocery store and love is in the air! Whether or not you’re a fan of the holiday, Valentine’s Day is always a good excuse to watch a romantic movie! Below are some suggestions, so snuggle up with your hot date, your best friend, your cat or maybe just some chocolate, and embrace your inner hopeless romantic.

1.  Pride and Prejudice

The epitome of a classic romance, Pride and Prejudice never disappoints. Keira Knightley shines as Elizabeth Bennet, navigating the social hierarchies that define 19th century England in pursuit of honest love. Between the stolen glances, period costumes, British accents and of course, Mr. Darcy, what else can a girl ask for?

2. Valentine’s Day

Granted, this is not the greatest movie ever made, but it is satisfying if you are in the mood for a lighthearted, good old-fashioned, entertaining, cheesy romance! Plus, the ensemble cast — seriously who isn’t in this movie? — is easy on the eyes. Bradley Cooper and McSteamy anyone?

3. Love Actually  

Yes, technically it is a Christmas movie, but who cares? With another great ensemble cast, the feel-good collection of intersecting love stories is great at any time of the year. Plus, the “To Me You Are Perfect” card scene with Keira Knightley never gets old! (Plus it’s on Netflix!)

4. Blue Valentine

This one is a bit of a downer, but Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams have undeniable, magnetic chemistry in this exploration of a married couple’s relationship — from buildup to breakdown. And did I mention Ryan Gosling? (This one is on Netflix, too!)

5. A Walk to Remember

My favorite Nicholas Sparks novel adaptation, A Walk to Remember focuses on the relationship between Jamie — a kind, sheltered preacher’s daughter — and Landon, the bad boy with a heart of gold who falls for her. If you have never seen it before, I challenge you not to cry at the end!

6. The Proposal

Although it came out in 2009, The Proposal is already a classic romantic comedy. Starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, hilarity ensues when Margaret (Bullock) asks her assistant Andrew, (Reynolds), to marry her so that she can avoid being deported to Canada. When they travel to Alaska to spend time with his family, they actually fall in love, and it is adorable all-around.  

7. 500 Days of Summer

An unconventional love story, 500 Days of Summer explores the relationship between Tom and Summer, an idealistic man who believes he has found true love, and a woman who has never actually believed in its existence. With Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel, a great soundtrack and an important balance between comedic moments and serious reflections upon the nature of love, it is a must-see that only gets better with each viewing.

8. 50 First Dates

50 First Dates is an endearing romantic comedy about Henry and Lucy, played by Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. Due to a brain injury, Lucy’s memory resets every day. This doesn’t stop Henry, who is captivated by her and committed to winning her affection each day — even though tomorrow, she won’t remember him. It is often funny and silly, but ultimately has a lot of heart and is definitely a memorable romance!

Bonus: Future Romantic Movie! Check out the new trailer for The Fault in Our Stars here, starring Shailene Woodley and based on the bestseller by John Green. Don’t worry, it comes out in June, so you have plenty of time to read the book first!

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.