This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Shopping for your Halloween costumes at thrift stores is a cheap, sustainable and efficient way to find the perfect outfit(s) to show off this Halloween season. You are more likely to find less expensive pieces at thrift stores than  if you are online shopping or at a traditional Halloween store. Thrifting your Halloween looks is also more sustainable, especially if you are planning on only wearing the outfit once; your wallet and the planet will thank you! 

However, thrifting these pieces also means you could probably wear them again too, and they will serve many purposes. Finding everything you need for your costume at the thrift store will also save you time when shopping for the perfect look, instead of spending countless hours browsing online or running around to different shops. Listed below are five thriftable Halloween costumes to try this fall!

1. Vintage Vampire

Thrift stores are the perfect place to find vintage clothing, and also a great twist to put on the classic vampire Halloween look. To achieve this thrifted costume, black or white lingerie tops, bodysuits or slips are perfect, and you could even add a long robe or coat too. As for accessories, long gloves and faux diamonds or pearls will add that extra vintage touch. Pair that with a vintage makeup look and fake blood and you have a completely thrifted vintage vampire costume.

2. Western all the way

Dressing up in a western or cowgirl theme is also a great thrifted look that can be easily achieved. Many thrift stores often have an array of denim options, which is great for finding the perfect pair of jeans, overalls, a jean skirt or even a denim vest. Cowboy boots can also be a common find at many thrift stores, and will be much cheaper than buying them new. You can also look for a vintage fringe western jacket, think Diana Silvers’ look in the movie Booksmart. In addition, a chunky western style belt is a nice touch for a look that is western all the way. Finally, your look is not complete without a cowboy hat; a frequent thriftable item. 

3. Angel dreams

An angel look is another great second-hand costume idea. Thrift stores are normally stocked with lingerie, which is perfect for a delicate and dreamy angel look. Any lace or satin clothing items are perfect for your angelic costume. You can get the angel glow by adding sparkly jewelry and makeup to the look. Vintage jewelry especially, like second-hand diamonds or pearls, can complete your angel dreams. This look can also easily be transferred to a fairy costume as well. 

4. 70’s icon

A 1970s themed costume is also very thriftable and there is a lot of free range creativity for this look. Thrift stores are filled with fun, vintage patterns, perfect for a throwback to the decade of free spirits. Floral patterns are great to look for, or you could go for more of a disco look with shiny materials. Vintage mini dresses can also be the perfect base for a 70s icon. Thrifted boots are also a great item to look for; the higher the better! You can have a lot of fun with accessories for this look. You can find unique vintage belts, scarves, headbands, sunglasses, and more, especially in a thrift store.

5. classic witch

This classic costume is inextinguishable as far as Halloween looks go, and perfectly, can be put together from thrifted items. Most witch looks on Pinterest show an all black outfit, which is easy when shopping at a thrift store. Black corsets are very popular for this look, as well as flowy skirts, and of course, stand out black boots. Leather and sheer materials are also good to look for when thrifting this costume. Long black gloves are a great touch too. Finally, complete your classic witch look with a beautiful vintage statement necklace. 

It is always fun getting to play “dress up” again, but Halloween doesn’t have to be an expensive holiday. Thrift stores will likely have everything you’re looking for, and your pieces will be much more unique. Try out some of these ideas this Halloween season! 

Gillian is a fourth-year at Cal Poly SLO. She is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Child Development. Gillian is the Social Media Director and a writer for Cal Poly Her Campus this year. She enjoys writing about sustainable fashion, social issues, and current trends. Even though she is planning a career in psychology, she loves being a part of Her Campus because it allows her to have a creative outlet and continue her passion for writing.