5 Pieces of Advice You May Receive Before Going to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Incoming students get a lot of advice before coming to college. Whether it was solicited or unsolicited, some of this advice has stuck with me (and I occasionally repeat it to myself). This type of advice is worth sharing. Whether you’re a brand new freshman or a returning college student, some of these little lessons may help you as we venture into the new school year. 

“If you’re going to break a rule, only break one rule at a time.”

My best friend’s father gave me this advice a while ago, and while it may sound purely comical, it has practical applications. Simply speaking: be conscious of what you’re doing and how it might affect you in the future. If you’re going to have a prohibited coffee maker in your dorm, try to avoid doing things that will make the RAs come into your room. Or if you want to stay up into the wee hours of the morning with friends, make sure you’re relatively caught up in your classes that you’ll have the next day to make up for your exhaustion. There’s a time and place for everything, but maybe the time and place isn’t the same for every decision. Being conscious about your choices will make sure your year runs smoothly and the fun is spread out rather than stopped short a few weeks in.

“People who don’t respect your boundaries aren’t worth keeping around.”

My uncle told me this over the summer, and it really stuck with me as I started my time at Cal Poly. Respecting boundaries isn’t only important to big personal choices such as drinking. Respecting boundaries applies to all aspects of life. Whether you don’t want to be called a certain nickname or prefer to be in bed by a certain time, these boundaries should be respected,whether you’re talking to your best friend of ten years or your roommate who you met last week. People who don’t respect small requests tend to not respect big ones later down the line. If someone is pushing you in a way you don’t enjoy, remember that your primary concern is your own wellbeing and you don’t owe anything to anyone. Make sure that you are honoring yourself before worrying about meeting others’ expectations. 

“Take time for yourself.”

My mom reminded me of this when I was looking at all the classes I could take and different clubs I could join. As fun as it is to get super involved, she told me there needs to be a few hours a day where you can take a breath. Whether it’s going to the gym, spending time with friends, or just lying in bed doing nothing at all, the time we take to recharge is just as important as the time we put into studying and being involved. Personally I like to watch Youtube and eat junk food in bed on the evenings that my roommates have class, but no matter where you’re living or what your schedule looks like you can find time to do something to help you recenter.

“Reach out to your teachers.”

My dad, who teaches at a high school, told me that even if you’re doing well in a class, it is still good to check in with your teachers at least a few times during the quarter. They aren’t meant to be intimidating, unreachable beings, they’re people dedicated to expanding other’s knowledge. So whether you pop in to office hours, stay after class to ask a question, or set up a meeting outside of your professor’s regular availability, don’t be afraid to ask questions and get the support you need. Also, for classes you’re doing well in, don’t be afraid to ask your professor about other ways to get involved in the department or other classes that you might find interesting based off of the class you’re in. Professor’s are real, interesting people who are fun to get to know, so try to get to know them better and see what else you can learn or do.

“You got this!”

This is something my best friend and I have shared many times over the past few months, and we will probably keep saying it all throughout college. Why? Because it’s always true and easy to forget. No matter how overwhelming things may be, just remember —you got this! Take a deep breath, remember you’re a queen, and go get it.

So no matter what year you are or what you’re looking for from this quarter, these are good things to keep in mind as school gets started up. Overall, you know yourself and your worth, so make sure you are getting what you need to be the best version of you. Now’s the time to go out and live your best life! Be a queen and show this year what’s up.  

Jasmine Janisch

Cal Poly '23

Hello! I'm a first-year biomedical engineering student at Cal Poly. Although I'm in a STEM field, I still love to write which is why Her Campus is a great place for me!