5 Movies With Kick-A** Leading Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Move over boys, the women are here to save the day. Here are five must-see movies for every college woman, led by some of the most kick-a$$ ladies around.

Whip It (2009)

Ellen Page stars in this coming-of-age story as Bliss Cavendar, a small town girl who wants more than the beauty pageant life for which her mother is grooming her. Instead, she discovers a women’s roller derby, transforming herself from Miss Bluebonnet contestant Bliss to the wild and tough Babe Ruthless. Directed by Drew Barrymore, this mostly female cast also stars the likes of Kristen Wiig and Alia Shawkat. With the tagline “Be Your Own Hero,” Bliss, a.k.a “Babe Ruthless,” shows us that the only way to truly find our place is to find something we love and go for it, no matter how impossible it may seem.

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

While the names Brad Pitt and Quentin Tarantino may have led many of us to see this movie, actress Mélanie Laurent made us stay. Laurent plays Shoshanna, a girl surviving as an owner of a movie theater in Nazi-occupied France after witnessing the murder of her entire family. Shoshanna is fierce, loyal and absolutely fearless, but none of these characteristics make her any less real. She is still scared in the face of her enemy, but her spirit never wavers, which ultimately leads her to her plan for revenge (with a bit of cinematic flair added in). And come on, the scene with her in the red dress with David Bowie’s Cat People playing in the background? Simply stunning. Shoshanna definitely is the star of the film.

The Heat (2013)

Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy star in this hilarious comedy about an uptight FBI agent and a rough-around-the-edges cop who unwillingly are paired together to stop an evil drug lord. This unlikely pair also serves as a commentary on women in a male-dominated workforce and the different ways they have to act in order to be taken seriously. All in all, Bullock and McCarthy are amazing together, proving that women can be both B.A. and funny.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

Meryl Streep, you can do no wrong. While Anne Hathaway’s character Andy has an interesting take on life in the fashion industry, it is really Miranda Priestly that is the star of the show. From her terrifyingly cool demeanor, to her impeccable fashion sense, Miranda Priestly shows just how far she is willing to go to do her job and do it well. While she may seem unbreakable on the outside, she still struggles with the same issues any other wife or mother may face, and there are moments in the film where you can glimpse into her life. As Andy so aptly states, “Okay, she’s tough, but if Miranda were a man no one would notice anything about her, except how great she is at her job.”

Divergent (2014)

Shailene Woodley does an amazing job playing Tris, who upon finding out she is Divergent in a city composed of factions becomes a fearless Dauntless member of society. In a world based on bravery and strength, Tris learns how to stay true to herself despite what her faction mandates. Even when it comes to romance, Tris is able to use her voice to dictate what she is and is not comfortable with, showing us that it is okay to say no and that it actually makes you a stronger person to stand up for what you want.

Heroes? Who needs ’em. We’ll take these kick-ass heroines any day.

Morgan Mazzocco is a fourth year English major with a minor in Media Arts & Technologies. She hopes to someday work in an art museum and pretend to be Dorian Grey.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu