5 Life Lessons We Learned From Fred Andrews on “Riverdale”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

On March 4, fans across multiple generations were shocked and deeply saddened by the sudden loss of actor Luke Perry at just 52 years old. Perry was known for playing ’90s heartthrob Dylan McKay on “90210.” More recently, he played the role of Fred Andrews, Archie’s dad on the CW show “Riverdale.” Perry not only brought a beloved comic character to life, but also became one of the most loved dads on television. Here are a few of the most valuable lessons Fred Andrews taught us.  

1. Be strong enough to own up to your decisions, good and bad

In the pilot of “Riverdale,” Archie lied to his father about bailing on football practice to do music instead. This is not “High School Musical”–– Fred would never force Archie to play a sport or give up his passion for singing. Instead, he told Archie, “whatever you decide, be confident enough in it that you don’t have to lie.”   

2. Family is everything

This philosophy does not apply to only blood relatives. Fred adored his son Archie, but also treated Archie’s friend Jughead like his own, even offering to let him live with them when things were rough at home. Fred treated all of Archie’s friends like they were his own kids, and always made their home a welcoming place to everyone. Although he and Archie’s mom Mary divorced, they still remained close friends and always supported each other. 

3. Always stand up for the people you love

When he ran for mayor, Fred fought for his friends in Riverdale, defending the South Siders (home to the infamous gang, the Serpents). He remained F.P.’s friend, even when he was dealing with alcoholism or in prison. And he absolutely did NOT let Hiram Lodge mess with Archie.

4. Never give up on your dreams

Fred talked about running for mayor back when he was just a teenager stuck in Saturday detention, and years later, he made that dream a reality. Even though he ultimately did not win the election, he still gave the campaign everything he had.

5. Kindness is everything

Most of the parents on “Riverdale” were not exactly known for being good parents, or even for being decent people. Fred on the other hand, was an excellent father and a great friend to everyone in Riverdale (well, except for Hiram, maybe). Perry was similarly known for his kindness in real life.

Rest in peace, Luke Perry. Riverdale will not be the same without Fred.

Images via Tumblr