3 Delicious Non-Boring Salads To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We all know salad is good for us and that we need to get our daily serving of vegetables in order to be healthy. But let’s be honest: salads can be very, extremely boring after awhile. I don’t know about you, but I can only eat so many mixtures of leafy lettuce and vegetables. Don’t fret, though! I’m here to help inspire you to make more exciting, and tasty, salads!

First of all, a salad doesn’t necessarily mean you need to pack as much leafy greens, like kale and romaine and arugula, as you can into it. Those are key players usually, but not for every salad you ever make. Be adventurous in your kitchen; throw in chickpeas and quinoa and other grains you’ve never even heard of! It’ll add some much needed variety.

Here are a few of my favorite non-boring salad recipes, if you will. And the best part—they’re easy to make!

Mediterranean Chickpea Salad

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas)

1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced

1/2 cup roma tomato, diced

1/2 cup cucumbers, diced

1/8 cup olives, sliced

2 oz feta cheese, crumbled

1/8 cup red onion, finely chopped

olive oil for dressing

The great thing about this salad is you can mix and match your ingredients as much as you’d like. Not a fan of olives? Don’t add them! Huge parsley fan? Throw it in! It’s also really easy to make. Drain the chickpeas, add all of your ingredients, drizzle some olive oil for dressing, and mix it all together. I think it tastes best chilled a bit, so stick it in the fridge for a little bit. This is a great salad to bring along to the beach as a small meal. (source)

Quinoa, Spinach, Avocado Power Salad

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained

2 roma tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach

2 avocados, sliced

1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese

Start preparing this salad by cooking your quinoa, according to the directions on the package. Once done, transfer the quinoa into a medium sized bowl, where you’ll add and mix the tomato, spinach, avocado and onion. In another, smaller bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, and salt to use as a dressing. Toss this into the medium bowl with the other ingredients until it coats everything. Sprinkle the feta on top, and enjoy! I love this recipe because it makes quinoa, something I tend to find rather boring and bland, into an amazing salad that bursts with flavor. (source)

Spinach and Strawberry Summer Salad

2 tablespoons raspberry or champagne vinegar

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

8 ounces baby spinach

1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced

1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped

2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled

This salad is prepared in the way you would most: start by whisking together your vinegar and olive oil in order to create your very own vinaigrette. Then add your spinach, strawberries, almonds and goat cheese. Gently toss it all together to combine, and serve! Whenever I eat this salad all I imagine is sunny skies and endless summer nights. I think it’s the strawberries, but who knows! (source)

Amy Rush

Cal Poly

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8