This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

2022 was one of the most turbulent years of my life. I experienced a lot of drastic life changes; graduating high school, starting college, my first heartbreak, moving houses, and more. I experienced growth greater than I knew was possible, and potentially more than I felt equipped to handle. As we enter into 2023, I am reflecting back on the year, describing 22 things I learned in 2022.

1. Break the habits in your life that are causing you pain.

-This requires an active recognition of what these habits are, and an internal dialogue of stopping yourself from repeating the cycle. 

1. Romanticize your daily life.

-You are in control of the reality you create for yourself. Find pleasure in the simplicities of each day. 

1. Home is based on people, not a place. 

-Moving can be a really emotional process. The memories will always be held in the walls but the true feeling of home comes with the people who fill the space. 

1. Let yourself heal first.

-Don’t rush your healing process, let yourself feel everything. Neglecting healing will cause more pain and inescapable healing later on. 

1. Dye your hair red.

-Red hair is a power move and looks so hot. 

1. Try to find a balance between making decisions based on your head vs your heart.

-Try to listen to both, but ultimately go with your gut. 

1. You can’t stay connected without being attached.

-Read my first article.

https://www.hercampus.com/school/cal-poly/the-transition-into-college-after-a-serious-high-school-relationship/

1. Over the ear headphones are life changing. 

-Practical and cute. They channel main character energy. 

1. Results don’t come without resilience and hard work.

-Don’t give up. 

1. Eat your protein.

-Building muscle requires your body weight in grams of protein. My personal favorite protein sources are chicken, salmon, yogurt, protein shakes/bars, eggs, and nuts. 

1. Pour protein milk over an espresso shot to make protein coffee. 

-Delicious and nutritious. Get those gains! 

1. Eyelash serum works. 

-It is so expensive, but it really works! 

1. Don’t let drunk men carry you.

-They will drop you, and it will hurt. 

1. You often find a better prom dress if you thrift it.

-Save your money and stunt in a more original dress. 

1. Cut your skinny jeans into shorts.

-I thrifted a pair of Baby Phat skinny jeans with really cute detailing on the pockets. They fit perfectly but I can’t rock with skinny jeans, so I cut them into cute shorts. 

1. Do shrooms in nature.

-Shrooms are grown naturally and best taken in nature. It channels a positive connection between you, the shrooms, and the earth. 

1. The central coast is way colder than you might think.

-I came to Slo for warmth, so why is it so cold? 

1. Sometimes loving something means letting go. 

-As hard as this may be, try to appreciate the love for what it was. 

1. Get the NYX stick for your inner corners and nose highlight. 

-Life changing. A crucial product in my makeup routine. 

1. If you’re considering getting your belly button pierced, do it.

-Nothing has brought me more confidence. 

1. Don’t black out and dance all over everyone.

-You might not remember, but your friends will.  

1. Develop solid morning and night routines. 

-These routines can help you stay grounded and organized in your daily life.

As we embark into 2023, I hope these lessons can be kept in mind throughout new challenges in the year. 2023 is filled with endless possibilities and opportunities. New Year, better you.

Sasha Hopewell

Cal Poly '26

Sasha Hopewell is a 20 year old student attending Cal Poly, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies and minoring in Studio Art. Born and raised in San Francisco, Sasha loves fashion, art, writing, lifting, and being outdoors. She is event planner for Cal Poly fashion club "FITS" and plans on studying abroad at London College of Fashion next year.