20 Things To Do in SLO (That Don’t Require Any Alcohol)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Regardless of how you feel about partying, everyone needs variety in his or her life. To spice things up, Her Campus has created a list comprised entirely of alcohol-free activities around SLO!

1. Stargazing

SLO has some great places to hike and watch the stars. You can hike Madonna, Bishops or the P. If you are planning on using your car, take Perfumo Canyon Road all the way up the hill until you find a prime stargazing spot.

2. Avila Pier

Avila Pier is a whole different experience at night. Bundle up and head to Avila to swing on the swings and reenact the classic Titanic scene between Jack and Rose on the slide with your buddies. Then travel down to the end of Avila Pier and take the stairs to get a closer look at the ocean.

3. Day Trip to Big Falls

Big Falls is a cool hike to a natural waterfall. There are spots where you can cliff jump and see various watering holes. Take a car that can handle off-roading and have an adventure that will be so much fun you’ll be ready for an early bed-time by the time it gets dark. 

4. Movie Night

After a stressful school week, sometimes it’s great to just hang out with your friends in a low-key setting. Pop in your favorite movie, order a pizza and enjoy a night in.

5. Potluck

Everyone has a favorite recipe; learn what your friends like to make! Invite them over for a potluck where everyone brings a dish to share.

6. DIY Night

Look on Pinterest for inspiration (and follow us while you’re at it!), then head to Michael’s or Beverly’s for the supplies. Listen to music or watch a movie while you and your friends have fun crafting.

7. Observatory

Did you know Cal Poly has an observatory on campus? This fall quarter it’s open Mondays and Thursdays from 9:10-10:00 p.m. Check out the Facebook page for details and directions!

8. Sunset Drive-In

Drive-in theaters are becoming such a rarity that many people have yet to experience one! Enjoy a cheap movie date with a car full of friends or the cute guy or girl in your class.

9. Nail Party

Every girl could use a little pampering. Have everyone bust out their nail polish supply and have fun choosing new colors for your manicure and pedicure while listening to an awesome playlist.

10. Sports Games

Check out the list of Cal Poly games that are going on each weekend and go out and support your fellow Mustangs.  Wear Cal Poly gear and enjoy cheering with your BFFs.

11. Overnight Camping Trip

This is a great activity to do with a bunch of people. Visit Poly Escapes to rent a tent, grab your sleeping bag and pack games and food for a night of fun in the outdoors.

12. Dress-Up Night

We’ve all been to Firestone and In-n-Out, but sometimes it can be fun to treat yourself to a nice sit-down dinner. Try a place you’ve never been to before, dress up and make an event out of it. Sky Café and Mama’s Meatballs are good places to start.

13. Try Weird Sodas at Rocket Fizz

Rocket Fizz is notorious for its unique sodas. Go in with your friends and buy a mix of delicious and gross sodas, and then have fun trying them out one by one. You may surprise yourself and actually enjoy the Sweet Corn Soda, but probably not…

14. Rollerblading

Put on a fun 80’s outfit and go retro with your friends at Skate-Mor.

15. Bike Night

Every first Thursday of the month at 9:30 p.m. bike enthusiasts meet at Mission plaza for a ride through downtown SLO. Each month there is a different dress up theme, so be sure to check out bikehappening.org for details!

16. BBQ

Have each one of your friends buy an ingredient—whether it be chips, soda, hotdogs or buns—and go spend some quality time barbequing at a local park! Bring a Frisbee, soccer ball or football to play with while your food cooks. Cuesta Canyon County Park is a good option if you looking for someplace with BBQ pits!

17. Thrifting

Thrifting is cheap and a fun adventure. Have a few laughs with friends as you explore the insides of hundreds of wardrobes. Flannels and large sweaters have become a huge trend this fall. Check out the men’s section for some great finds!

18. Karaoke Night

Pappy McGregor’s has karaoke night every Thursday and Applebee’s has karaoke every Friday night.

19. Grab Some Coffee

There are so many amazing cafés around SLO that there is no reason to go to any old coffee chain. Have a heart-to-heart with a friend while trying out a café you’ve never been to before. Some noteworthy ones in SLO are Kreuzberg Coffee Company, Scout Coffee Co., The Nautical Bean Coffee House & Bistro and Linnaea’s.

20. Night Photo Shoot

Go exploring somewhere crazy and pose for pictures with your friends.

If you try out any of these sober activities, send us a pic at hccalpoly@gmail.com and we’ll feature you in an article!

Stephanie enjoys cats, crafts, and carrots when she's feeling healthy. She believes that the best writers were first avid readers. Consequently, her love for the two run deep! A third-year English major, she aspires to one day work in a publishing company editing manuscripts and helping writers achieve their literary goals.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu