17 Times Jim Carrey’s “The Grinch” Spoke to You Soul This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The Holiday Season is full of movies we all know and love, but one movie and one character stand out among the rest–The Grinch (2000). While Cindy Lou Who searches for the true meaning of the Christmas season, the Grinch is doing more important work: saying what all of us are thinking. Though we’d all like to be Martha May Whovier, we all know who we really are. We are all the Grinch.

1. When Christmas music starts in November but you’re trying to be sad about finals coming up, and besides, it’s just too early.

2. But you make it through, get home and reunite with your dogs.

3. When your mom presents you with a bunch of pictures of yourself and you have to choose one to go on the Christmas card.

4. When some people from high school are throwing a Christmas party and you’re trying to decide whether or not you want to go, so you consult your schedule.

5. And then your friend reminds you that there will be free food there, so you commit and then immediately slip into that social anxiety.

6. And how you subtly let your ex know you’re back in town through Instragram and you’re waiting for them to acknowledge it so you can stop being petty.  

7. Or your mom when you and your siblings are grab-*ssing it during the Christmas Eve service like the toddlers you are:

8. The pep talk your mom gives you in the car on the way to your extended family’s house on Christmas Day:

9. And you feel sick from being forced to eat all the food your relatives made.

10. But the whole time you’re cracking up inside because you brought a hilariously horrible gift to the annual white elephant gift exchange and aren’t above stealing the one you want from your family members.

11. And then, just like that, Christmas is over and you begin that weird in-between time between Christmas and New Year’s Eve where you have to think of things to do.

12. And you get to the point where you’re so bored that you decide to ask someone you haven’t talked to in years to hang out.

13. And then your plans get cancelled and you have to act like you don’t care, and you’re actually having a good time…

14. …Until you and your subconscious get in a fight.

15. And then a few days later you tell your parents you’re going out for New Year’s Eve and they’re like:

16. And that night, you and your friends discuss the previous year.

17. Until, finally, you leave for school again feeling ready for the New Year and all that comes with it.

Don’t deny it, we all know it’s true. But don’t worry, relating to the Grinch doesn’t mean you hate the holidays, it just means that you’re real as heck and always find an excuse to be a little mischievous, even if you do feel a little bad about it afterwards. Just don’t ever silence your inner Grinch, because it’s fabulous.

Hunter Laningham is a fourth year English major at Cal Poly and her life never ceases to be interesting. She enjoys listening to rock music, writing various readable things, and spending time outdoors, primarily in forests. Hunter recently returned from an unexpected journey much like Bilbo's which, funnily enough, actually included a dragon. She loved her time in Central Europe and even made it to Iceland, but she's always happy to be back in SLO. Hunter is currently working on her first novel and hopes to finish it before she's 100. Catch her on campus, downtown, or on a mountain and strike up a conversation. She's friendly but shy, so just hold out your hand and talk softly and she'll come to you.