Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Red & Pink Dessert Recipes to Try This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Every year on February 14th, we spend the day showing the people in our lives how much we love them. Whether they’re our parents, siblings, friends, spouses or partners, we take a moment to send them messages of gratitude, affection and admiration. And nothing says ‘I love you’ more than a delicious, homemade treat. So, here are 10 red and pink dessert recipes to try this Valentine’s Day.

1. Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Betty Crocker)

Ingredients:

• 2 cups medium-large strawberries (or 18-20 strawberries)
  • ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips or white vanilla baking chips
  • 1 teaspoon shortening or vegetables oil

Instructions:

• Gently rinse the strawberries and dry completely on paper towels. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper
  • In 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat
  • Dip lower half of each strawberry into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip back into the saucepan. Place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
  • Refrigerate uncovered for about 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm, or until ready to serve. Store covered in refrigerator so chocolate does not soften

2. Red Velvet Cookies (Eating on a Dime)

Ingredients:

• 1 box red velvet cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • Powdered sugar for the topping

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven to 350º farenheit
  • Mix everything except the powdered sugar into a bowl
  • Spoon into balls and roll in the powdered sugar
  • Place on cookie sheets leaving about 2 inches between cookies
  • Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies brown slightly on the edges

3. Strawberry Valentine Chex Mix (Butter With a Side of Bread)

Ingredients: 

• 4-6 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 1 8oz bag strawberry candy melts or
  • 1 bag of white chocolate baking chips (12oz) and 1 box of Strawberry Creme Jell-O Pudding
  • Valentine’s M&M’s and/or sprinkles
  •  ½ teaspoon shortening (optional)

Instructions:

• Measure out Chex cereal into a large bowl. If you are using the strawberry melts, measure out 4 cups, and if you are using the white chocolate chips and Jell-O, measure out 6 cups
  • Pour chocolate into a small glass dish. Add ½ teaspoon shortening if desired to help the chocolate coat the cereal easier. Microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Then, let it sit in the microwave for 3 minutes. Remove and gently stir. If the chocolate loves its shape and looks smooth, it’s done. If not, return to the microwave in 15 second increments, letting it sit for 2-3 minutes each time, until melted and smooth
  • If you used white chocolate chips and Jell-O pudding mix: Add 4 tablespoons of the strawberry creme pudding into the white chocolate and stir gently until smooth. Add 2 drops of red food coloring, if desired
  • Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal and stir gently to coat
  • Transfer cereal mixture to a large piece of wax paper. Sprinkle with M&M’s and Valentine’s sprinkles if desired. Let cool to set. Break pieces and store in an airtight container to serve

4. Red Velvet Cheesecake Bites (Delish)

Ingredients:

• 1 box red velvet cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
  • 2 8oz blocks cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions:

• Preheat the oven to 350º and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Prepare red velvet cake batter according to box directions. Divide batter among liners and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Break 4 cupcakes into small crumbs. Save remaining cakes for another use
  • In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add heavy cream and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form
  • Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Using a small scoop, scoop cream cheese mixture into balls and place on a prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer to chill for 1 hour
  • Roll balls in red velvet cake crumbs until fully coated, then return to the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to serve

5. 5-Minute Strawberry Shortcake Fudge (The Golden Lining Girl)

Ingredients: 

• 1 16 oz container prepared strawberry frosting
  • 1 12 oz package white chocolate chips
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 ½ cup coarsely crushed Nilla wafers
  • ⅔ cup slivered almonds (split in halves)
  • Sprinkles (optional)

Instructions:

• Line an 8 in square pan with foil, extending it over the edges of the pan. Lightly grease the pan
  • In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the frosting, white chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, then continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until the chips are completely melted and smooth
  • Stir in almond extract
  • Fold in the crushed Nilla wafers and ⅓ cup almonds until just blended
  • Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Decorate with sprinkles if desired
  • Allow to set at room temperature for about a half an hour , or 10-15 minutes in the refrigerator
  • Remove from the pan by lifting the edges of the foil. Remove the foil. Cut into squares 

6. White Chocolate Raspberry Truffles (Sweet and Savory Meals)

Ingredients:

• 12 oz white chocolate chips (or chopped)
  • 1 stick butter (unsalted and room temperature)
  • 5 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 cups freeze dried raspberries (measure then process into a powder)
  • ½ cup powdered sugar

Instructions:

• Add freeze dried raspberries to the food processor and pulse to make a powder. Set aside
  • Add heavy cream to a small sauce pan on medium heat and simmer over low heat or microwave for 1 minute, until hot and boiling
  • When heavy cream just starts to boil, remove it from heat and stir in butter until fully combined and smooth. If the mixture has small lumps you can microwave it for only 20 seconds, but not more, as you don’t want to fully melt the butter.
  • Stir in the raspberry powder. Set aside to come to room temperature
  • Add white chocolate to a microwave safe bowl, and microwave on high in 20 seconds intervals until chocolate is melted. Stir very well after each interval to make sure the chocolate doesn’t overheat and become unusable. You may need 2-3 intervals of 20 seconds for the chocolate to fully melt. Use the residual heat from chocolate to melt any remaining small pieces of chocolate by stirring well. Set aside for the chocolate to cool off to room temperature
  • Add melted white chocolate to the butter mixture and stir well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours. While the mixture is cooling in the fridge stir it a few times so the fat from the butter doesn’t separate on top. Make sure you stir it often especially during the first 30 minutes, otherwise the butter will separate and harden
  • Remove mixture from fridge and let it come to room temperature 
  • Using a small ice cream scoop or a measuring spoon, scoop the mixture and roll into balls, roll into powdered sugar and place on waxed paper. Repeat the process. If the truffles stick to your hand, dust your hands with powdered sugar
  • Truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 7-10 days. Or they can be frozen for longer storage for 2-3 months

7. Valentine Red Velvet Brownies (Kleinworth & Co.)

Ingredients:

Brownies

• ½ cup butter cubed (1 stick)
  • ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons red liquid food color or 1 tablespoon red gel food color 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder

Frosting

• 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips
  • ½ cup Valentine M&M’s
  • ⅛ cup Heart Shaped Sprinkles
  • Or substitute with container of premade vanilla or cream cheese frosting

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 325º
  • Use either non-stick foil or just use regular foil & then spray with non-stick spray & line a metal 9″x9″ baking pan
  • Stir butter & chocolate in a heavy large saucepan over low heat until completely melted. Remove from heat
  • Whisk in sugar & then eggs – one at a time
  • Stir in vanilla, salt & food coloring
  • Sift the flour & baking powder & then stir it in & blend well
  • Transfer the batter to the prepared pan
  • Bake until puffed & dry looking- or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just some moist batter attached. (about 35-45 minutes)
  • Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack

Once Cool- prepare frosting (optional: use premade frosting instead)

• In a small saucepan combine sweetened condensed milk & white chocolate chips
  • Heat until completely melted & smooth
  • Pour immediately onto the baked brownies while they are still in the pan
  • Top with M&M’s and sprinkles
  • Allow to set before cutting

8. Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries (Upstate Ramblings)

Ingredients:

• 36 Strawberries 
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 2 tablespoons half & half
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • Shaved chocolate

Instructions:

• Wash and dry the strawberries. Then hull (hollow) the berries and cut a small sliver from the bottom so they stand upright
  • Mix the cream cheese, half & half, sugar and cocoa in a mixer on high speed
  • Put the mixture into a pastry bag with a large tip or put into a plastic bag and cut the corner off
  • Pipe the filling into the strawberries
  • Sprinkle with shaved chocolate
  • Refrigerate until ready to serve

9. Red Velvet Cake Pops (Simply Home Cooked)

Ingredients:

• ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 ¼ cups water
  • 1 15 oz box red velvet cake mix
  • 2 tablespoons Pillsbury creamy supreme vanilla frosting
  • 1 12 oz bag Wilton candy melts
  • 1 tablespoon melting aid

Instructions:

• Combine the eggs, cake mix, oil, and water then pour the red velvet cake batter into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake the cake according to the package and let it cool down to room temperature
  • Cut and trim the outer part of the cake. These dry pieces are too dry and may cause your cake pops to fall apart
  • Crumble the cake with your hands into a large bowl. Then add 2 tablespoons of vanilla frosting to the crumbled cake and mix with a spoon then work it in with your hands
  • Shape the crumbled cake bits into balls and press them into the cake pop. Now remove extra cake from the sides and compress the cake ball back  into your hands and round it out to a ball. The cake pop former was meant for getting the perfect size cake pop. (Note: You can form the balls with just your hands too)
  • Melt about 1/4 cup of white candy melts in a small bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals to avoid overheating the candy. Then dip the end of your cake pop stick into the melted white candy
  • Insert the stick into each cake ball a little more than half way through. Now place each cake pop onto a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer for about 15 minutes
  • Then, melt the renaming white candy melts in a bowl. Make sure you melt them in 30 second intervals with mixing in between. Once it’s melted well, add 1 tbsp of dipping aid chips. Now mix that all together with a whisk and pour it into a narrow cup
  • Dip each cake pop into the cup then slowly pull up the cake pop. Hold the cake pop in one hand and tap your wrist so that all the extra melted candy drips off
  • Place the dipped cake pops into a styrofoam block and drizzle with red candy melts

10. Valentine’s Day Bark (My Crazy Good Life)

Ingredients:

• 1 package candy melts cheesecake or vanilla
  • 1 package strawberry Wafers
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 pag M&M’s Valentines/Holiday
  • 1 oz sprinkles Valentines/Holiday

Instructions:

• Using a blender, blend the strawberry wafers and cream cheese until it is similar to a dough consistency
  • Line the baking sheet with wax or parchment paper
  • Coat the bottom of the baking sheet with the blended mixture. Spread it out evenly and press it down flat
  • Using a glass bowl, microwave your candy melts for 1 minute, then stir. If they’re not melted, microwave them in 30 second intervals, stirring in between
  • Pour the melted candy over the crust
  • Sprinkle the top with M&M’s and sprinkles
  • Let set for 30 minutes

Showing the people in our lives that we love them is important, so try something new this year and try out these 10 red and pink Valentine’s Day dessert recipes. 

Lena Van Duzer

Cal Poly '24

I am a sophomore Journalism major at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. I also plan to pursue an economics minor. My hobbies include writing and reading and outside of the university I am a competitive horseback rider.