10 light-hearted Women Directed Movie/ TV shows to watch with your roommates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

In honor of International Women’s month, here is a list you can choose from that showcases movies and TV shows directed by women! Only 18% of directors in the bizz’ are female so let’s show them some love.

1.  Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird. Watch on Hulu and Paramount+, for free with a subscription.  Fun fact: Greta Gerwig is from my hometown of Sacramento, California! 
  2. Kate Heron’s Loki. View on Disney+ for free with a subscription. 
  3. Chloe Zhao’s Eternals. Select on  Disney+ for free with a subscription.
  4. Kasi Lemmon’s I Wanna Dance with Somebody. This is a newer movie but you can rent it for $5.99 on YouTube.
  5. Olivia Wilde’s Don’t Worry Darling. Catch it on HBO Max.
  6. Amy Heckerling’s Clueless. Stream it on Paramount +. As if! 
  7. Olivia Newman’s Where the Crawdad Sings. Watch on Netflix.
  8. Catherine Hardwick’s Twilight. Bonus! Stephanie Myers wrote Twilight. Watch on Paramount+.
  9. Nancy Meyer’s The Parent Trap. The best comfort movie of all time! See it on Disney+.
  10. Last but not least, Quinta Brunson, an honorable mention who is the creator, producer and stars in Abbot Elementary. This is one of my favorite shows ever! Go check it out on Hulu.

Enjoy watching!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.