10 Date Movies Both You & Your SO Will Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s that time of year when you and your significant other might find the idea of staying in, watching a movie and cuddling more appealing than going out. The weather is a little colder and those blankets are calling your names. So grab some hot chocolate, popcorn and your sweetie and curl up to watch one of these ultimate date movies.

500 Days of Summer

Who can resist the charm that is Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt? This quirky film is the perfect amount of cute and comedy to keep both of you entertained the whole time.

Love Actually

This movie may be Christmas-themed, but it is spectacular all year round. It chronicles 10 different relationships and somehow intertwines them all in one movie that is pure perfection. 

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

This is one action -packed film that will thrill both you and your significant other the whole way through. The chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie is undeniable, even to the most adamant member of Team Jennifer Aniston. Is there anything hotter than the scene where they try to kill each other and then have the greatest make-up sex of all time? I think not.

The Princess Bride

No one can deny this classic tale. There’s a woman that spends the last few years pining for her true love that she thought was dead and a swarthy pirate that comes back to save her—swoon. This film has just enough action to keep you entertained and enough romance to make it the perfect date move. “As you wish.”

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days

Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey. Need I say more? This rom-com follows two people who begin a relationship with ulterior motives in mind. He wants to prove that he can keep a girl and make her fall in love with him, and she is trying to show women how they scare men off by doing all the common mistakes she thinks women make in relationships. Can anyone really lose in this situation? Probably not.

Neighbors

Looking for a movie that’s not quite so lovey-dovey? This movie is perfect. This hilarious comedy shows a feud between a frat house and a young couple with a newborn baby. It is a war to end all neighborhood battles. Just try not to swoon over Zac Efron and Dave Franco too much.

Begin Again

This is the perfect movie for music lovers. Two lost souls team up to make an album in the busy streets of New York City. By helping each other, they just might find themselves again. It has irresistible charm and a soundtrack that will be stuck in your head for days.

The Proposal

Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds team up to make one laugh-out-loud, can’t-help-but-love rom-com. A relationship of convenience might turn into something more with a little comedic help from Betty White and an accidental naked body slam.

Say Anything

Another can’t-miss classic. No one can resist the charm of young John Cusack. And that stereo scene where he stands outside in the trench coat? Way too adorable.

Overboard

I had to include a personal favorite. Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell in their prime make this movie over-the-top amazing. They start out as two people hating each other, until she falls overboard. He concocts a plan to get the money she owes him by convincing everyone that she is his wife. She has no memory, so is obliged to skeptically believe him. Maybe their fake marriage was just what they needed to fall for each other.

Any one of these movies is all you need to have a nice date night in with your SO. They are all the perfect balance of cute, romantic, funny and some action thrown in for good measure. Guaranteed that any movie you watch from this list will make you want to snuggle up and watch another.

I am a journalism major here at the amazing Cal Poly. My goal is to get paid to travel. The ultimate dream job would be to work for National Geographic or a magazine similar to that. I caught the travel bug when I went to China my sophomore year of high school. Since then I have been to Costa Rica, Spain and France. I hope to add to my list this summer and then maybe study abroad with Cal Poly. I love everything that has to do with the outdoors. I enjoy hiking, swimming, biking and yoga. I love writing and am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu