An Open Letter To Santa From A College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

Dear Santa,

I know what you’re thinking. You haven’t heard from me in years. Why am I writing? Recently, I’ve been thinking. As a college student, we learn that the toys that we asked for as a child might not be as important as the things that we are so desperate for now. I can remember setting up cookies and milk for you with my little sister and being so excited to see that you ate them (I helped Mom bake them myself, just so you know).

When we’re in college, we are so busy. We have tests, projects, 10-page papers and so much more. The one thing that we do not often have time for? Ourselves. We often get so caught up with college and all of the hard work that we forget the little things that gave us so much hope when we were younger. We forget the feeling in our stomachs as we were waiting to fall asleep and for you to come. We forget how it felt to write our lists to you while listening to Christmas music by the fire. We forget the way our eyes used to light up when we saw the presents under the tree.

We forget how important spending time with family is and we often take that extra hour to run around and try to get work done instead of calling our parents to say hello. This Christmas, I’m asking you for something more than just some extra money and the newest clothes. Please remind me of the little things that once mattered so much and should matter now. Please remind us all of the true meaning of Christmas and that schoolwork and gifts are not everything. This Christmas, I will appreciate the break from school, but most of all, I will appreciate the feeling I get when I see my parents smiling and when I hug my sister on Christmas morning.

This Christmas season, please remind us all of the beauty and joy of Christmas.

Sincerely,

A hopeful college student

Jill Nawoyski is a junior at Cabrini College double majoring in Digital Communications & Social Media and Business Marketing that hails from South Jersey. Jill is currently the Editor in Chief of Cabrini's newspaper, The Loquitur, and spends most of her time in the newsroom. Jill is a lover of the beach, quotes, Marnie the Dog and french fries. In the future, Jill would love to continue her education in graduate school, spend the rest of her life telling stories that matter (either in video or writing) and start a non-profit for youth homelessness. Jill is a firm believer in the fact that the ocean (and Chipotle) can change lives.. And that a third cup of coffee never hurts.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.