Why You Should Always Adopt, Not Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Most households have at least one animal companion in them, and any family with an animal companion knows how loving, special, and what a wonderful addition to their family they are. However, there are lots of animals out there who are stuck in shelters because so many people want to shop around and spend a ludacris amount of money on an animal from a breeder. There are so many things wrong with breeders and those animals usually live in horrible conditions and are not treated with the love and care that they deserve. Not to mention the money – when you purchase an animal companion instead of adopting one, you are spending a usually absurd amount of money, anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars. When you adopt a pet, however, it is always so much cheaper and your money is going to saving someone who will give you so much love and light into your life. So many animals are euthanized in shelters every day, approximately 1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats, because people would rather spend their money on a freshly-groomed puppy sitting in a window display with a bow on its head.

According to the ASPCA, “approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.” That’s millions of cats and dogs that need homes, that need care, that need affection, that just need someone to love them. These animals need loving homes, and it’s up to us animal lovers to help give them homes.

Yes, people love precious, newborn animals – everyone does. But, an older animal, or a mutt, or a disabled animal will be just as loving, sweet, and wonderful as a newborn baby. Older, mixed, and disabled animals, ones who are deemed less desirable need love just as much as any animal.

Go to a shelter or a humane society. Look around at the cats and dogs. Look them in the eye, play with some of them. They’re all so special and have a right to a happy life. We need to give them homes. Every animal deserves to be loved as much as they’ll love someone else. 

Writing is what I love most and want to eventually make a career out of. I want to travel the world and write about what I see and experience.