What the Lonely Ones are Thankful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

During a time of year filled with joy and thankfulness, giving and glitter, it’s important to recognize that for some this is the loneliest time of year. 

It’s not that they’re not thankful for all the people around them or all the opportunities that they have been given.  It’s not that they’re always sad and it’s not that they’re always happy.  It’s just a time of year where, for some reason, they fade into the background for a little bit.

Regardless, those that fade into the background or go through the holidays numb are thankful for so much.

They’re thankful for the friends that don’t forget them.  They’re thankful for the friends that remember to invite them to things and include them in their plans.  They’re not the type of person to always ask “what’s going on” or “if there’s anything big happening this weekend,” but when someone casually includes them, it means a lot. 

They’re thankful for the friends who listen, even when what they’re saying is childish.  They are thankful for having a friend who will lend an ear even when what they’re saying is completely irrelevant, even when they probably just need to relax and quit worrying.  They’re thankful for the friends who can tell something is wrong with them and immediately jump into listening mode, even before they realize they need to talk it out. 

They’re thankful for the families that don’t pester them with questions when they’re home for the holidays.  College students know the bitter reality of constantly being asked “whom they are seeing” or “what their plan is.”  It’s awful.  But, they’re thankful for the families or even just family members who respect that they are still figuring things out, that their “love life” might be messy or complicated or even very new to them.  They’re thankful for the ones who respect that they don’t want to talk about everything at a public family function.  And they’re thankful for being respectful.

They’re thankful for animals.  Animals don’t ask questions.  Animals know when something is wrong.  And animals are always down to cuddle and love them no matter what time of day it is.  They’re thankful to have a buddy in life that will be loyal to them till the end, and they’re thankful for all the dogs on the street for the quick cuddle sesh. 

And lastly, they’re thankful for the people that understand they’re not good at talking about things.  They’re thankful for the people that’ll just sit there and sip coffee in silence with them.  They’re thankful for the people that know that just their presence is comforting.  They’re thankful that silence can be as comforting as words.  That silence can be more bonding that sharing their thoughts.  They’re thankful for the people they can be quiet with and that it’s more helpful to them than bearing their soul for the world to see. 

Even though the holiday season can be lonely and numb, overwhelming and full of too many questions, there is always something to be thankful for. Even if it’s just silence, a cup of coffee, or a listening ear. 

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.