Valentine’s Day Gifts and Activities for all Relationship Statuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. The stores are finally free of Christmas ornaments and leftover New Years Eve banners, and has quickly been replaced by a sea of pink and red hearts and countless boxes of chocolate. Valentine’s Day always seems to get a bad rep, but showing those special people in your life some love is definitely well worth it! Whether you get to see your Valentine on a daily basis, you’re in a long distance relationship, or you’re just best friends, Valentine’s Day can be enjoyed by everyone! Here are a few gift ideas and suggestions of V-Day activities for different types of relationships!

You + Your Beau

You may get to see the love of your life everyday, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t make February 14th special. When it comes to making a plan for you and your man, don’t forget to keep in mind what he would enjoy doing. Does he like to eat? Prepare his favorite meal and invite him over for a candle-lit dinner date. Does he enjoy watching sports? Grab tickets to a local sporting event and share a jumbo popcorn and super-sweet cotton candy. No matter what you decide to do, be sure to truly enjoy the time you spend together.

Finding the right gift for your guy may seem daunting and nearly impossible, but it doesn’t have to be! First of all, gifts aren’t a requirement. Check with your significant other to see whether or not he wants to exchange! If you both agree on exchanging, don’t forget to set a price range and agree to keep it simple! Think about what he needs. Does he need a new wallet to replace the one that’s falling apart at the seams? Does he need a new shirt and tie for his internship or upcoming job interview? Finding something that he’ll actually use and appreciate shows that you pay attention to and care deeply for your beau.

Long Distance Relationship

Not being able to spend time with your significant other stinks, but not being able to spend time with your significant other on Valentine’s Day stinks even more. Whether you’re oceans apart or separated by a few hundred miles, there are ways you can still enjoy this day of love together. Be sure that you and your significant other clear your schedules and decide on a time to spend ‘together’. A movie date via Skype is a good solution to being apart from each other. Curl up in bed with your laptop, video chat your boy, and be sure to start your cheesy rom-com in sync! Make sure you remove all possible distractions and ask your roommates not to interrupt your date night.

When it comes to gifts, it’s no secret that both of you really just want to be able to spend time together. Be sure to keep that in mind while deciding on the perfect gift for your long-distance boyfriend. A plane ticket for a weekend visit probably isn’t in every collegiate’s budget, but a small care package definitely is. There are several simple and affordable gift ideas that can be combined to make the ultimate V-Day care package — frame the latest picture you have as a couple (or maybe even that awkward one from your first date), buy the super-sized version of his favorite candy, and burn a CD of songs that remind you of him. If you’re feeling extra sentimental, you may want to include a handwritten letter listing all the reasons why you love him or explaining how much you miss him. The combination of a few of these small, personal gifts will definitely make your guy’s heart melt a little on the inside.

My Girls are All I Need

You’re single, so what? Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples! It’s a day to share the love with your girls! Embrace the day by picking your favorite tear-jerking love story or LOL rom-com, indulging on heart candies or pink and red M&Ms, and sipping on hot chocolate with your besties. You can even make a few rules like banning talking to any boys for the day or not being allowed to be sad about being single.

Exchanging gifts with a group of friends can get expensive, so try doing a “Secret-Santa” type exchange, or even a grab bag! As with any gift swap, be sure to keep it simple. Pick up a pair of cute pajama bottoms, a Starbucks gift card, or a few of the newest nail polish colors to give your girls. If your group doesn’t want to exchange presents, make your Valentine’s Day get together a potluck! Have each person bring an appetizer-type dish, baked good, or drink in order to have a delicious spread.

Remember that no matter what your relationship status is, Valentine’s Day is a day of love that can be shared with everybody!