jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Toxic and Abusive Relationships as Told by Ronnie Ortiz-Magro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Dear Sam,

The first night at B.E.D when you left, Ron made out with two girls and put his head in between a cocktail waitresses breasts.  Also was grinding with multiple fat women.

When you left crying at Klutch, Ron was holding hands and dancing with a female and took down her number.

Multiple people in the house know.

Therefore you should know the truth.

We all know about the “anonymous” note that JWoww and Snooki wrote to Sammi in season 2 of Jersey Shore.  We all also know about the constant back and forth that Sammi and Ron got into throughout all 6 seasons of the best show ever. You can’t tell me you don’t hear Sam saying “Ron STAHP” while you’re reading this. Fast forward about a decade later, and now our beloved, crazy Ronnie is going through even more relationship drama with his baby mama, Jen Harley.  Most recently, Ronnie was arrested for wielding a knife while carrying his daughter and chasing Jen around the house before locking himself and his daughter in their home. Ronnie has been stuck in this perpetual cycle of toxic relationships for as long as we’ve known him. I figure, if he isn’t going to learn from his mistakes, then we should.

Toxic and abusive relationships are a serious issue. They are difficult to break away from and can cause severe amounts of stress, anxiety, and potentially physical or mental harm. Abusive relationships affect different aspects of your life inlcuding physical, verbal, sexual, or financial. Often, those who are in a toxic relationship will be too afraid of what their partner will do if they leave so they stay and live in fear.  There are hotlines, shelters, counseling services, and emergency help available to those who need the support to leave a toxic or abusive partner. Planned Parenthood also has an explanation on their website of the components of an unhealthy relationship and the various ways in which a partner can be manipulative or abusive. Sex and relationships are part of life and they’re supposed to be fun. But, when someone starts to become abusive it may be time to question the relationship and reconsider one’s safety and wellbeing.

I'm a College of Charleston student majoring in Political Science.  I love taking pictures, going to the beach, and spending time with my friends.