Top 5 Books that were Totally Life Changing for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

We all have those books; those books that changed or altered our perspective in some way. It could be comical, heartfelt, factual, or encouraging: any type of writing can greatly impact us without a reason. But some books carry an impact and these are the ones I love most. I am going to share with you books I have discovered in the past year or two that changed my perspective on something, whether big or small.

The Host

Author: Stephenie Meyer

I loved reading this in high school. I’m not a big sci-fi girl, but I LOVED it. it’s long, so prepare yourself. It’s about a girl’s body being taken over by an alien-type presence. Give it a read!

Eleanor and Park

Author: Rainbow Rowell

This book was one I read in middle school and recently re-read. It’s about two teenagers in love in the 1980s, and dealing with their own personal issues while also trying to love someone else. It’s heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time.

The great Gatsby

Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald

I know many of you may have read this well-known book novel in high school- hear me out. I read this book my senior year of high school and didn’t really think about it. I had so much on my mind I wasn’t really absorbing the story. I re-read it a while later and was amazed at what I had missed. Even if you don’t love old writing, give The Great Gatsby another shot. It’s a long-lost love situation and has many twists along the way.

The five people you meet in heaven

Author: Mitch Album

Now, I know some of you may be thinking you aren’t religious; I’m not either, and I still loved this book. It talks about Eddie, a man killed in an amusement park accident, and the five people he meets in heaven. These are people that impacted his life, no matter how big or small. I don’t cry in books and I balled my eyes out reading about Eddie’s life and the people who impacted him. Definitely worth a read if you need a good, sentimental cry!

Tuesdays With Morrie

Author: Mitch Album

This book affected me more than the rest. It’s about an old man who knows he is dying. The novel helped me gain a new perspective on forgiveness love, and what matters in life. It helped me gain a new appreciation on life and finding the beauty even in the bad.

Hi! My name is Lilly Nichols, and I am a freshman at the College of Charleston! I love writing, reading, music, and guitar. I have grown up surrounded by books and want to continue my love of writing through HerCampus! I am hoping to attend law school and become a lawyer. I am so excited to be a part of this!