This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s freshman year of college so how could I not download Tinder? A potential way to meet new people, friends, or maybe something more. I remember it being kind of fun at first picking out what pictures make me look the most appealing, what lame thing I could put in my bio to get the most attention. Which lead to the aimless swiping waiting for a match to finally pop up and what cheesy line I would be hit with next. I’ve got to say, for about a week it kept my attention. But it didn’t take much time for the realities of Tinder to kick in. Was I gonna meet most of these guys? …No. Did I want a million new people on Snapchat? …No. Were these conversations lasting long? …No. It kinda felt like an endless pool of no’s, especially since my aim was not for a hookup. To be clear, I can’t say Tinder is all bad; it does have some good to it. So here are some of the good and bad parts of using Tinder as a college student. 

Pros 

It’s easy to meet people

With so many users and age ranges it’s easy to find tons of people. You might not have a connection with everyone you swipe on, but it takes time. I know I’ve been lucky enough to meet some good guys. 

It can boost your confidence 

Although it’s not the main purpose of Tinder, it can definitely make you feel better about yourself. It never feels bad to receive attention or a compliment that could stick with you throughout the day. When you meet someone new and there is a click it can often lead you to feel happier. 

Clarity 

Usually on Tinder people are very clear with what they are looking for, whether its a hookup or an actual relationship. While, yes, some people do have it stated clearly in their bio, others are clear about it from the opening conversation. This saves you the trouble of investing your time into something that you aren’t looking for.

Cons 

A conversation might not last

Tinder can quickly feel overwhelming especially when you first get it and matches start rolling in. You might quickly click with some people and others not as much. Although you match not all conversations last. If you have multiple conversations going on it can be easy to forget about the ones that didn’t strike you as fast. 

Much patience is needed

With so many people flooded on Tinder, you won’t find exactly what you are looking for right away. It might take some swiping and failed conversations. Plus, the reality is you won’t talk to everyone you match with and not everyone on Tinder is looking for the same thing. 

Need more info

Well yes, it is a dating app that is based mostly off of looks; it can be kinda frustrating if you are really taking a look at someone. With such a short bio and only a few pics, you might not know who exactly you are swiping on. The point is to get to know that person beyond the profile, but wouldn’t you want to know who you are swiping on first?

Yes, Tinder has it’s good and bad aspects, but what doesn’t? I know I’ve had good and bad experiences from the short time I’ve had it, but I think as a freshman that Tinder is what you make of it. 

Hey guys! I'm a freshman here at the College of Charleston and I'm from a small town called Indian land Sc. I grew up in Charlotte. I absolutely love everything about Charleston and I'm so excited to be able to call it home. When I'm not busy with work and school I love reading, listening to music and of course the occasional Netflix marathon.