Life > Experiences

The 6 Best Coffee Places in Downtown Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Although the temperatures may be appearing to get lower, the stress levels of college students are definitely not. As the semester prolongs and final exams approach, many students need a nice cup of coffee or iced chai to keep them running and focused. Here is the ultimate guide and review of the best coffee places in Charleston, South Carolina. 

1. The Rise Coffee Bar

f2S8u PFRwfv6XPXuDiKAPZLhG2BqqHa EnXmp43B4gyLVUE0YES HHrxrrNT ntn3CFUutw7fiHp6C 69VKlquuIR8MkaeJWhyOh4D kvE5GGEnNswnhYLasgqZf6P2Fq4HN4o oZ9R5e6ifZjwbKj8UzQnanw g4M71pUOyGgoB6FUkaP6szrb35Wg

Located on 77 Wentworth Street, The Rise is just around the block from the College of Charleston’s campus, making it easily accessible to students in walking distance. Open daily from 7am to 5pm The Rise has an abundance to offer with coffee starting at $2.00, cafe lattes at $3.25, and cold brews at $3.75, not including milk or flavoring. Directly adjacent to The Rise is an outdoor seating area where students can study under the trees with their coffee and bagels or croissants. 

1. Caviar & Bananas 6cnG1ynE5tOupd8OFhVhAKCMGL6XN9 C qaWIyQsWEkYmRyk7QEAm9OXqld0yj hdooPHlL0 pf2ROoc9C52caG1YwD9cbWQOqmZt8MwNaOFWaQ515jyULE18Ioy h7k4LvuDCo1Z4EO7q6yE79E6KNAa9sLyI97mae Pwb7Qd q5YXOZ4CaWvRGl0syw

Located right in the campus of the college on 51 George Street, Caviar & Bananas is extremely accessible to students. They offer breakfast, lunch, grab and go, and Gelato including an espresso and tea bar, pastries, sandwiches and salads. Lattes and coffee start at $3.00, making it affordable for college students. Although the food is on the more expensive side with build your own sandwich for $10.50, there are still affordable options. Despite the high price, the abundance of healthy options, including avocado toast and build your own salad, can be a healthier alternative than the dining hall food. Its location is perfect for students to grab a bite before heading to class. 

1. Kudu IcFEhP5xTCq0g4jxXSAxPuTyJZ9bqxUq5fnmJTytiBLZoockXnWrEwreWK9TgZL44aqYT5UNb

Located on 4 Vanderhorst Street, open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, Kudu is close to the College’s Kelly dorm, and offers chai lattes starting at $3.50 and coffees at $2.50. It has a variety of bagels and muffins for less than $4.00. As well as an abundance of croissants including chocolate, plain, almond, and ham and cheese for less than $6.00. With an indoor and outdoor seating area under fairy lights, there are large and small tables where you can gather with friends or have a study session. Kudu is not only a coffee bar; it is coffee and craft beer for those over 21, especially upperclassmen.  

1. Second State Coffee I3DCuElT7vlJeHNt8rJvqvpUa1Q j2pZLlDiByqQfPlU XUJjUrKFMaA6UDBI62qEtVo2DSQIEgBHw8YRUpQR mPDuG cVMGANOFU 5clC 9yYArWYyC

In downtown Charleston on 70.5 Beaufain Street, February 2022 will mark one decade on Second State Coffee in Charleston’s historic Harleston village. Open during the week from 7am to 5pm, and weekends 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Second State has expressos, macchiatos, iced coffee, and flavored lattes all under $4. As it gets colder, you could also get a nice cup of hot cocoa! With the inside seating, students can sit and study with a breakfast sandwich for $7.00 or a breakfast bowl for $9.00; Social media influencer and model Ellie Thumann recently moved to Charleston and has shown to go to Second State on her instagram, so you may bump into her!

1. The Daily 530y61hQ1vMGByzHOB7gAYRovc6CRgYaz0XkS5Zo10OKWrbE77ir5JcD7qw5bOQtR8jTiupXVSGPo4xmFOCY4A6maggNAPSG1Ouj DN8zdWo3op3TC1Bx4VUAav0 p7huVrZmATwtcSkbwJu6IlEeB77H

Although it is a longer walk from campus, The Daily is located on upper King Street at 652 B King Street. They have many college students favorites including matcha lattes for $6.00, chai lattes for $5.50, and coffees starting at $3.00. The Daily has an abundance of smoothie options starting at $9.00, where you can also add on an espresso shot, matcha, or fruit. Most of the breakfast options are under $10.00, including a breakfast pita, breakfast burrito, and a variety of toasts. The Daily has a large indoor seating area for students to meet with friends or study. 

1. La Pâtisserie D2YgM6MEJYc28vai8bRtCFfkEPEExEBezUpv3ti5mhlBTMkIve7N0vH2Z3MoyokwYo7mxXU7ZdYcY37T9Wfha33n07tXLuQ22yZCpoLVLc6GPXF9v6Po7gw7W6GZLVAJ1QW88dFFusK50l 0jKxURdFTEN7RQvQDm5Rn1G94ExVmJIsf jv1kIMfEpVvkg

Right down the block from the college’s Einstein’s bagels inside the Hotel Bennet, La Pâtisserie has a large indoor seating area that is popular for students to go and study with friends. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., La Pâtisserie has gourmet coffee starting at $4.00, lattes at $5.00, and chai starting at $5.00. Many students favorite the abundance of croissants that the bakery has to offer; They’re more affordable than the drinks as they start at $3.75, and there are also muffins for $4.00. For college students looking for cheaper alternatives to get by the semester, La Pâtisserie may not be the place to grab a quick cup of coffee. But if you’re looking for an authentic coffee and breakfast meal, La Pâtisserie is the place to go in Charleston. 

Elizabeth is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Long Island, New York, with a major in Business Administration and a minor in writing, rhetoric, and publication. Elizabeth currently serves as the Vice President & Director of Marketing, Publicity, and Social Media for HC at COFC. In addition to being involved in many campus organizations such as the Delta Gamma Sorority's Director of Apparel, The Director of Public Relations for the Order of Omega Honor Society, and member of the American Marketing Association at COFC, the sustainable fashion club, and COFC's Finance Club.