This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I would like to start off this article by stating that I am not a medical professional and should in no way influence your decision to get an IUD, these are my personal thoughts and feelings.

1. Why do people get IUDs?

IUDs are 99% effective in preventing pregnancy- unlike condoms which are only 78 – 82% effective, and that’s when used correctly. Some people also prefer IUDs over birth control due to the fact that you do not have to worry about taking a pill at the same time every day. Ultimately, unless you have a medical need for an IUD the choice is yours whether you get one or not. 

2. Do not let anyone talk you into or out of an IUD

Everyone’s experience is different! Some people have really bad experiences and some have really great experiences. No one is going to be able to prepare you because everyone’s body is different.

3. How high is your pain tolerance?

I have been struggling with severe period cramps my entire teenage life. When I say severe, I mean not being able to get out of bed all day severe. This being said, my pain tolerance is a 7 out of 10. If I am going to be honest with you, you need at least a pain tolerance of 5 out of 10 to be able to have this procedure. This is mostly because of the “after cramps”. These cramps last about two weeks after you get your IUD, and they hurt pretty bad but can be easily controlled with Advil or Tylenol. 

4. What to expect

When you first go in for your IUD, they will ask you to pee in a cup so they can make sure you are not pregnant. After that your nurse will take you into a room and ask you to undress. The doctor will insert the speculum (which does not hurt!) and then they will clean your cervix with a cotton swab (also super easy). After that they are going to use a speculum clamp (which I did not even feel). Then comes the worst part… measuring your uterus. I have no idea how they do it but it feels like day two period cramps. After that, they just put the IUD up there and you are set to go. All in all this takes 20 – 30 minutes and I personally felt completely fine after. 

Overall- no one can tell you what to do with your body. An IUD was a great choice for me but it is not for everyone. If you are considering this procedure, weigh the pros and cons and know your pain level.

Emily Coker

C of C '25

My name is Emily Coker and my passion is photography as well as social media networking. I love nature and inspiring others to embrace their natural beauty. My vibes are boho with a spice of material girl on random days.