Style > Beauty

Rhode Skin: Is it Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

In June 2022, Hailey Bieber launched her skincare line, Rhode, and her three products sold out within ten minutes. Some say this is a result of her well renowned reputation as a model and media personality, therefore I decided to do my own personal investigation and dive into discovering if Rhode is truly worth your time and money. 

Hailey Bieber’s fascination with becoming the best version of herself inspired her to start a company to help others with skincare. ‘‘Rhode is a line of curated skincare essentials. Formulated for a variety of skin types and needs with high performance ingredients, it’s a daily routine that nourishes your skin barrier over time,’’ it states on Rhode’s website. In an abundance of interviews and youtube videos subsequent to Rhode’s launch, she brings emphasis to her passion for skincare. In the YouTube video The Making of Rhode she says, “For me skincare is self care..skincare itself is something that I’ve been passionate about and if you’re not passionate about the brand you’re trying to start there’s no point in doing it.” Rhode launched with three products: the peptide lip treatment, the barrier restore cream, and the peptide glazing fluid.

The peptide lip treatment has shown to be the most favored product, as it was awarded an Allure Best of Beauty award. This lip treatment was launched in three flavors: watermelon slice, salted caramel, and unscented. The treatment is described on the website as “A restorative lip treatment for naturally plump, pillowy-soft lips — day or night. This dreamy formula leaves lips looking glossy and works hard to nourish dry skin from within. Hence the name, this lip treatment is made up of peptides to visibly pump the lips and reduce the appearance of fine lines, and is made up of four key ingredients. Shea Butter hydrates and moisturizes with five essential fatty acids. Cupuacu helps maintain the elasticity of the skin and improves suppleness for dry, dehydrated lips. Babassu supports the microbiome and replenishes the moisture of the skin. Subsequent to using this product, there was a noticeable improvement in my lip appearance and its texture surpassing my expectations. It really does show to work from within; Although the moisture does not last for hours, as I applied it throughout the day for a few weeks I noticed the clear difference. This lip treatment is not intended to be a regular gloss, it works from within to improve the overall quality of your lips. 

The barrier restore cream is described as “cream moisturizer to comfort, soothe, and restore the skin barrier. Our antioxidant peptide powerhouse delivers hydrated, smoother, softer skin over time.” It is intended to soothe and comfort a compromised skin barrier. This cream also uses shea butter and peptides, squalane to hydrate and soften the skin, niacinamide to nourish, brighten and improve the skin’s overall texture, and acai to protect the skin from harmful free radicals. Hailey shows to continuously utilize peptides throughout her products; After using this cream it was clear to understand why. This moisturizer is perfect for restoring damaged skin and nourishing it after your nightly skin care routine like Hailey shows to use in her youtube video. This cream is rich, which was great for dry skin like mine as it improved the moisture and quality of the skin after applying products. However, it is also lightweight, which makes it accessible for those with oily skin to still utilize the benefits that come from the safe, well thought out ingredients.

The peptide glazing fluid is my personal favorite; its description as ‘the dewy hydration layer’ is a perfect representation of the product. In the same manner as the other products, this glazing fluid uses niacinamide and peptides, with hyaluronic acid to absorb hydration and replenish the moisture of the cell, and marula oil to support and soften the skin barrier. In Hailey’s video, she demonstrates how she uses this product before applying her makeup to provide an extra layer of moisture to the skin: a skincare tip I now swear by. Sometimes primer does not always provide the amount of hydration that the skin needs before adding makeup, especially for dry skin. This glazing fluid brings that moisture to the skin to allow the makeup to naturally blend and glide onto your face. Hailey shows that this product has many uses as she incorporated it into her skincare routine; As the second step right after cleansing it locks in moisture prior to applying any products. Hailey is known for her ‘glazed donut look’, this is Hailey’s signature step to achieve dewy, glazed skin. 

In the documentary, Hailey explains, “I started reading books and doing online dermatology courses for skincare”, then she called upon the help she needed to make her dream a reality. Dermatologist Dr. Dhaval Bhanusali and cosmetic chemist Dr. Ron Robinson make up Rhode’s advisory board and uses their professional education to format Rhode with the best ingredients possible. Hailey puts a continued emphasis on having options for everyone with different skin care needs. She demonstrates a genuine care for her brand and having nothing but the best ingredients and quality for the people who use Rhode. At first, many were quick to assume the brand simply skyrocketed as a result of her fame in the same way many other celebrity wellness brands did like Kourtney Kardashian’s Poosh and Rihanna’s skincare and makeup line Fenty. Regardless of how Hailey’s fame affected her brand, she was different from many; she utilized her social media platform to go behind the scenes to show the process of making her brand and the true ingredients that make up the product’s quality. She did not simply start a brand for the benefits, she has a genuine care for what goes into her products and how it will affect the people that trust her. Along with making simple YouTube videos, Hailey reveals how she uses her own products; she markets her brand in a way of trust, by showing how she uses her own products it inspires people to purchase and use them, and after using her products, I can say that I personally trust Hailey Rhode Baldwin Bieber. 

For Hailey’s birthday, she’s launching a limited edition peptide lip treatment flavor: vanilla cake. It launches on her 26th birthday, November 22 at 11 am PST. I would set a reminder so that you don’t miss it within the first ten minutes!

Elizabeth is a sophomore at the College of Charleston from Long Island, New York, with a major in Business Administration and a minor in writing, rhetoric, and publication. Elizabeth currently serves as the Vice President & Director of Marketing, Publicity, and Social Media for HC at COFC. In addition to being involved in many campus organizations such as the Delta Gamma Sorority's Director of Apparel, The Director of Public Relations for the Order of Omega Honor Society, and member of the American Marketing Association at COFC, the sustainable fashion club, and COFC's Finance Club.